Nomex or Nylon?

Discussion in 'Nylon' started by TXFlyGuy, Jan 21, 2017.

1. TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy New Member

After being advised that I would be wise to wear nomex while flying my Mustang, I purchased an Alpha CWU-45/P. A Cockpit Authentic MA-1, plus Cockpit CWU-55P, and an Alpha Vintage B-15 were already in my closet.
    All of the jackets are size L, but the Alpha jackets run small.
    [​IMG]

2. usafwso

usafwso Member

Nomex is a Polyaramid which unlike nylon won't melt and stick in case of a flash fire. Nomex will in fact burn in a fire but it simply chars and does not drip and melt to the skin. However, if the fire intense enough it really won't matter too much. Does your CWU-45 state on the tag that it is nomex? If so, your fine.

3. Monsoon

Monsoon Member

I remember Life Support telling me this when I started flying. "Yeah, nomex will protect you from temperatures up to X degrees. Too bad your lungs aren't rated that. And if you have contacts, they'll melt to your eyes. And I hope you have cotton underwear, too. By the way, your helmet strap will break at 8000 pounds, but your neck will snap quicker than that. Have fun flying!"

4. TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy New Member

Yes, nomex.

5. usafwso

usafwso Member

Then your jacket is good to go. Wear it and enjoy flying with it- it is a great garment and in warmer weather a CWU-36 is also great to use. :)

6. Spitfireace

Spitfireace Member

Which is better? Nomex or Aramid?

7. scwells

scwells New Member

Nomex is a trademark name and is an aramid fiber.

8. Spitfireace

Spitfireace Member

I see, like Kleenex is a brand name for tissue paper.