• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No B3 in my collection.

John Lever

For the first time in 20 years I don't own a B3. I have always liked the design an enjoy wearing them and have owned over ten. The problem is though I never did wear them. They were taken out looked at then put away.
Has any one else done this ? Are they too bulky, too warm for our winters or are we getting rather old to wear them ?
My tastes have moved over to designs without any fleece showing at the cuffs and waist, or to earlier jackets like the B2, A1 and cossack jackets.

Roughwear

OMG John. I really thought your wore your B-3s down in darkest Surrey. Mine have had a lot of wear over the winter.:)

John Lever

OMG John. I really thought your wore your B-3s down in darkest Surrey. Mine have had a lot of wear over the winter.:)
Winter here was cool rather than cold. If I had a dog to walk then perhaps a B3 would see more wear.
If a nice one pops up then maybe i'll buy it but it would have to be very special something like a Few Liberator, or Phillips Tanning.

Silver Surfer

funny you should mention it, john. i still have my elc rw and perry, but did not wear either this winter, and it was plenty cold enough to wear them. i found that the nylon n-2b jackets are easily as warm as a b-3, and a lot more practical. they are rain-snow resistant, and are made with a hood. and, like you, i have taken to repro cossack-menlo,, and hb style jackets as my intermediate wearers, as against a-2s

CBI

I didn't wear my ELC B-3 at all this past Winter. If it gets no use NEXT Winter, I will put it up for sale. I am finding my tastes are really changing as well. I guess its normal if you are at this hobby long enough!

Bombing IP

Never had the need for a sheepskin jacket for me they are just to bulky in the land of the car USA.
BIP

gav

This is not what I want to hear, having recently acquired my first B-3. I pray for a hard winter!

dmar836

I've worn one once or twice - once in the proper context, flying in a cold plane in 20F. Even colder up there.
My wife thinks fleece looks like one is trying too hard and for me it would be. I feel like I'm screaming for attention. I have complained at how few notice a nice A-2 but, on the other hand, there are those with gaudy painted A-2s with things hanging all over them to make up for it. Often they are seen with 50 mission caps and corncob pipes too.
Maybe next time we eat out I wear a seat parachute!

johnwayne

For the very reasons most of you say is why I've always steered clear of shearling jackets, particularly the car even though I did used to own an old MGB roadster (soft top) until a couple of years ago! Have been considering a B3 similar quite recently but ultimately I've too many jackets really so have again decided against one.

MikeyB-17

I wore my Aero B-3 all the time in the Winter (not in the rain). Not had a sheepskin jacket since which I've liked as much, and I fully intend to get another.

mr_lits

I wear my B3 all through the winter. Note that I'm in Alaska and it suits the weather here well.

dmar836

Certainly not criticizing the B-3. I do think that Eastman B-6 in the FS section would be a great wearer and not so bulky.

Clark J

I thought I felt something in the world was a askew ! I had a nice big old Aero B-3 and probably wore it 2 times a winter even here in Minnesota.I did like the weight of the Eastman D-1 but I also sold both of those.I think the Eastman B-10 is the way to go.