• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nirvana

Andrew

Peter Graham said:
Andrew, respect, you're a true field historian. Fantastic research and a great jacket. Now that you've a good idea of what the missing patches were, would you ever consider replacing them. It would make a stunning jacket.
Hey Pete, where've you been all this time? Hope you have a decent excuse.
Wrt retracing the history we're just lucky to have the net and with these guys averaging around 90 it's really the last chance to get actual personal confirmation of details. A lot of what you read is supposition and assumption and once they're gone it's too late.

Im finding myself In two minds about the patching. I've always said don't touch as it loses it's time capsule status, but in this case as the patches are easily identified it's tempting to rebuild it trying to use the original holes. But as tempting as it is I don't think I could do it. Weve also all seen stuff flogged off as original. What are other opinions?

Roughwear

Congratulations Andrew on such excellent research. The knits would be worth replacing, but your instincts are correct- leave the 5th AF patch off the jacket.

Chris217

Andrew, when John starts taking orders again you could have a Perry made and have it painted and patched just like your original. After a few years of wear it would probably be hard to tell the two jackets apart.

That artwork is incredible! What a great find :D

Peter Graham

Andrew said:
Hey Pete, where've you been all this time? Hope you have a decent excuse.

We moved house at the start of the year to way out in the sticks and I had to cut down about a dozen bloody big trees before the phone company could run a line in. Amongst all the other things that needed doing it's taken me a long time but It's finished at long last and it's nice to be back. As for the jacket, I'd patch it. If you use the same holes it's not gonna hurt it and you could always remove them if you wanted.

asiamiles

Peter Graham said:
As for the jacket, I'd patch it. If you use the same holes it's not gonna hurt it and you could always remove them if you wanted.
I agree; and it would look much more pleasing and interesting as a display piece.

Andrew

Thanks for your inputs guys. This is the first time i've actually considered patching anything original and only for the reasons you both mention. If and when I ever did end up selling it they certainly wouldn't be on it, but they would be with it along with any recorded history. I doubt I'll get around to doing it though as it would have to be done by hand and half of me still says it's not the thing to do.

Chris, nice idea but I'm not even a fan of Perrys (sacrilege I know) but somehow I 've ended up with two originals now. I'd love a pefectly fitting Dubow though.

Good to see you back Peter and well done getting the new place.

capt71

Hi Andrew,
Just going to throw in my tuppence worth on the patches.....

If the original owner (Ensign) had removed the patches himself in theater I would agree that perhaps they shouldn't be replaced. However, if they were removed later (after his passing?) in the US by his family or other relatives in order to merely save them for other purposes, then I would definitely replace them. Your idea of adding them (through the original stitch holes) then removing them if you sell the jacket is a good one, but I would let the buyer decide whether he/she wanted them removed. I feel the jacket in its present condition is somehow "incomplete" and needs them to represent its original service and identity.

As a parallel, my dad's A-2 had to have its lining, cuff knits, and waistband knits completely replaced, making the jacket now not strictly "original" condition. If I ever decided to sell it I would certainly be forthcoming about the restoration it went through, but I doubt that would much affect its sale (just my opinion).

Again, congrats on a wonderful purchase!

Bill

Andrew

An update....with the benefit of six years and much of that safely stored to look back on, the result has been to have the cuffs replaced with some provided by JC, and a beautiful leather 531st patch made by ties @ties70 along with an original locally made felt 5th AF patch residing in one of the pockets. That's it, aside from some leather conditioner. Wherever it goes ext it will be in its as found state but with a history.

dujardin

thanks for this lots of informations (research)

ask a replica of this jacket to wear every day and place this treasure in a display

Smithy

Loved reading this thread Andrew and what a beauty too. The icing on the cake was the detective work you did on the history side of things. 10/10!

johnwayne

I can only echo what what's others have said and well done that man, brilliant stuff and brilliant jacket too.
Thanks for sharing it Andrew, you must be pretty chuffed with yourself, you should be!
Cheers
Wayne

Andrew

Thanks for the positive feedback guys, this was all years ago when I seemed to have a lot more time available (and money). I just raked up an old post but now I'll probably now just be the one who uses the forum to flog stuff
I know the interest will return in some form eventually so I will hold onto my favourites. It's been such a long hot and just lately wet summer I feel my collection is actually a little threatened in this environment. I've also discovered that as much as I'd have like my sons to have caught some sort of bug they haven't ( they haven't even caught the surfing disease I now have)- turns out they are their own men so I don't need to hold onto lots of things for them.

Maybe this is what the forum needs- Trawl up some old good posts from the past

Andrew

IMG_4602.JPG
surfing disease, hahahahaha, so thats what it is? [rhetorical]
Yep, and I have it real bad @Silver Surfer

This was this mornings conditions