• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice grouping

TankBuster

I agree. He goes through the whole war only to come home and die during a routine stateside flight. A nice set to one of our finest.

ButteMT61

Wow, that's amazing. Telegram is sad in that it spends more space talking about how much the government will spend then a nice "condolences" at the end...the books are really neat to look at. Very detail-oriented man. Would be a nice grouping to have.

Roughwear

I agree about the very sad ending to the story. It's a really nice collection and that second contract RW has a beautiful patina.

Silver Surfer

super nice art work, and provenance, but the jac itself is a mess, replaced zipper [perhaps more then once], knits, and liner. thus, this one is mannequin rider.

Andrew

Sad indeed. amazing how long training etc took. Just under two years from basic flight training to posting in the Pacific and just over one year in theatre. He certainly did a lot in that time though and each and every one of those trips would have been a killer.

mr_lits

Ticks all the marks, painted A2, crusher, log book.... and sadly finishes with a telegram. Great stuff, tragic story.

I was noticing a reoccurring story in many of books I have read on WWII aviation history of pilots/crewmen finishing the war or their tour going back home and dying stateside in a crash. I dunno maybe after those months/years of combat they get done, get home and let their guard down? Who knows. Sad stuff though.