• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new project

STEVE S.

O.K. starting a new one today. I'm going to copy may favorite civvy jacket. Its a Sears Herculesprobably from the late 40's.

hide will be a seal brown steerhide with a wool backed, vintage cloth liner. I will make a few small changes like using Chrome buckles on the side cinches instead of the "D" rings (I constantly have to tug on my original D rings to keep them adjusted. delete the large welting around the pockets, may add a mouton collar etc.

STEVE S.

lots of work completed. still deciding on how I want to do the chest pocket, original or change it up a bit. I love the color & grain on this hide. It is soft too!

liner body is together. i backed the cotton cloth with vintage wool blanket material I had here.

I have enough left from this hide to do another jacket. anyone interested?? :cool:

STEVE S.

thanks guys! it sure is easier than beating on old cars 50-60 hrs a week. It would be nice to be able to cut that back some & supplement the income with something a little less strenuous on the old bones!

STEVE S.

put the sleeves on today, added a pistol pocket on the front (will change the pull to a smaller chain/loop) & started toying with what style collar I want. Going to put mouton on the collar, so think I will go a little larger than the original. the one clamped on there now was the "first draft" of the collar for the B-2. also going to add in inside liner pocket that will fit an I-phone.

STEVE S.

finished it up today. this one morphed into a monster! started out as a copy of my Hercules, but then started adding details. I guess it turned into one of those "if I could design a jacket any way I wanted it..." & this is what it ended up as. has a little Buco/Langlitz motorcycle jacket flavor, some of the original Sears Hercules, collar was patterned off of the USN M-69F & even has a USN style windflap! the cotton liner is backed with a layer of wool for extreme cold weather...inside additions include a smartphone pocket. I always hate digging my phone out of my pants pocket when wearing a jacket, so this will be a useful addition. zipper pocket on the front is tied into the arm seam to support any one of my many "CCW" pieces without sagging/flopping.

Skip

Very creative Steve, and leather colour looks superb. You certainly have an eye for it