New old G1 questions

Discussion in 'Vintage' started by Tom in Atlanta, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Tom in Atlanta

Tom in Atlanta Member

Hi Guys;
    Seem like it has been ages since I posted here. A few days ago I thrifted what looks to be an issued G1. Unfortunately all identifying information, patches and manufacture labels have been removed. The jacket is a nice thick goat skin in a somewhat lighter shade than the current ones. I'm guessing that the collar is mutton, as it has started to take on a slightly reddish color. It had a round patch on one sleeve and rectangular on the other. The velcro chest patch is still intact. Scoville zipper with "paper clip" pull. I know you can't really tell me much without pics, and I haven't worked out posting pics since the whole Photobucket thing, but does anyone have any guesses about age based on the mutton collar and Scoville zip?
    Thanks,
    Tom

2. johnwayne

johnwayne Active Member

There's a few here more versed than me re G1's but as far as I know all G1's were seal brown, yes some earlier M442's are lighter due to fading but the fact your jacket has a Scoville pull with p/clip pull sounds like a 70's G1 when also the collar, tended not to be 'mouton' which is genuine wool (not mutton!) but a man made acrylic, I think. I'm guessing there's no stencilling under the collar but any USN punched into the wind flap?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  3. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

If your jacket has a velcro chest patch it is likely to date from the early 1990s and could be a former issued US Naval G-1 made by Cooper, who were awarded a contract in 1992. Their jackets had the patches as you describe and a paperclip zip puller. G-1s were also made for the civi market by makers such a Cooper, Excelled, Orchard and Avirex. Please try and post some pictures.