• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New NS 5 in a 46-

fishmeok

This is the final version of my latest 30's flight jacket. Seal brown chrome tanned goat with a veg re-tan. Button close bellows pockets. Organic cotton lining. The zipper goes 2/3 of the way up the knit collar with a button closure on top. Internal windflap. Waldes grommet zipper. THis will be on my website this weekend (when I can sit down and upload the photos). Price will be $950, same as my other non-halfbelt jackets.

I'm wearing the hat beacuse I like hats.

Thank you
Mark Fisher

Nice-looking jacket, and very close to what is my ideal for a leather flying jacket...see the one that Earhart is wearing in the pic below, left side. The jacket you've made...more tightly fitted, would be pretty much exactly what I'd want. Nice work indeed!

images

FlyingYankee

Looks like a very practical flight jacket. I will have to start saving for this as it would be a nice alternative to an A-2.

fishmeok

Hello

The fit on this jacket has more to do with my shockingly "modern" middle age physique than period fit- I'm 6' and about 200 lbs these days and make pre-production jackets in my size...

The hat is an old Lancaster repro service cap that I kit bashed into a crusher several years ago.

Clarkie- Are you getting lonely way out there in the sticks? You sound delirious... ;)

Cheers
Mark

FlyingYankee

What measurements are on that jacket and what costitutes a modern fit? Would this jacket fit a 50+ weightlifter?

fishmeok

Hello

It's not so much a "Modern Fit" as making a jacket that fits me. I have a 46" chest and broad shoulders (36 waist). For an A-2 or A-1 style jacket to fit me comfortably it has to be at least 25 to 25.5 pit to pit, 19.5-20 in the shoulders and have 26" sleeves (depending on the pattern).

Take a look at the Doniger I am wearing in the below pics (made this years ago). It looks great, but notice how tight it is in the chest. This jacket is about 24 pit to pit and 19.5 in the shoulders. I can wear it, but not with anything heavier than a shirt, and if I zip it past my chest it is uncomfortable. That does not stop me from wearing it, but even so...

I base my jackets on individual measurments, so the fit is really dependant on what the buyer wants (within limits, you can only tweak a pattern so far).

Cheers
Mark

watchmanjimg

FlyingYankee said:
What measurements are on that jacket and what costitutes a modern fit? Would this jacket fit a 50+ weightlifter?

Hey Vince!

I don't have Mark's expertise in making jackets, but I sold men's suits for 5 years and have plenty of experience dealing with fit issues arising from a "drop" (difference between chest and waist measurement) in excess of 6 inches. As Mark suffers from this condition personally ( ;) ), I'm sure he'll be able to accommodate you.

FlyingYankee

Thanks, It seems Mark and I are about the same size. I have the same issues with A-2 Jackets fitting to snug in the chest and shoulders. T