• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'New' M422-A

jack aranda

Good morning, gents:
I took delivery yesterday of an M422-A, Edmund Church, size 42. As Roger Moore reported, it fits like a size 44; feels very nice. Label says: Contract No. NXs-5133. The USN stencil on the back of the mouton collar is in black. Do these bits of information provide any data on the possible age of this jacket within the years this model was made? It is in good shape; hide intact, supple; knits a bit tatty; mouton perfect; lining tight. Pics when I can, but, things are a bit chaotic at the moment. Thanks for any info you can pass along. Again, Happy New Year to all!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
jack aranda said:
... Label says: Contract No. NXs-5133. The USN stencil on the back of the mouton collar is in black. Do these bits of information provide any data on the possible age of this jacket within the years this model was made?

Here's some further info borrowed from John Chapman's CD ...

• ... Edmund T. Church, a smaller contractor of Navy jackets in WWII. This company became Burjac Sportswear at some point around 1943, making AN-J-3A jackets and contuing on with the 55J14 G-1. The Church M-422A design is distinguished by these details: front leather panels sewn over the back at the seams (also a G&F design feature), black USN stencil, tight angles on the pocket flap stitching, a tall zipper box, and small and circular stitching on the fold stitchlines of the back of the collar. The lining color may vary from typical salmon to a brown shade. Church leather is often a lighter than average chocolate brown color.

John also notes ...

• Both Edmund T. Church and Burjac jackets are spectacular in their quality.

jack aranda

Thank you, guys! I can't argue with John's assessment of the Church jacket. I wore it today, and it has 'just right' feel to it. I especially like the slightly wider mouton collar than the G-1. I will gets pics up, but, things are very unsettled right now. When life calms down a bit, definitely, pics. Thanks for your interest, and help.