• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Horsehide and Pecard. Advice?

Jaydee

Well I ended up getting that new G&B MK43 in Russet. It will be here soon and I was thinking of putting a light coat of Pecards on right away, to waterproof and help repel stains (as opposed to putting it on over stains later, and really setting them in). I would think it might help soften up the hide a bit as well, to jumpstart breaking it in. Any advice on this one?
Thanks,
-Jay

Vcruiser

Well..that's up to you...but me..I never put anything on a new leather jacket. Certainly not Pecards! Maybe after a few years of wear I might add some kind of conditioner..if it seems to need it. In my view...Percards is more to be used to recondition old vintage leather.....
Van

BTW..the few G&B A2s that I've seen seem to have a heavy finish similar to LW....seemingly indestructable. I wouldn't think that they'd need any "protection".

John Lever

You don't need to put any 'fat' on a new jacket. It will clog up the pores and stop it from breathing and attract dirt. In cold weather it will turn white.

Jaydee

I think you guys have swayed me away from the idea. But incidently the reason I was thinking that was that my Sorell Snow Boots came with a tube of Pecard with instructions: Apply to leather before wearing to repel water and stains. Also the Pecard desription states that it "Will not clog pores and allows leather to breathe. Made me go HMMM.
-Jay

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Jaydee said:
I think you guys have swayed me away from the idea.

John, and Van, are right, Jaydee. At best you won't do any harm, but there's no real up-side. Aero were recently getting complaints from cordovan customers, about colour transference to upholstery, and other clothes. The company suspected that the after sale application of conditioners was the main cause.

Garment leather is good to go, footwear is a different matter.

A

Anonymous

I believe the G/B jackets are coated with a light glaze of some sort. (I have four of them)The leather is tough and long wearing but new jackets from G/B IMHO don't need a thing as far as conditioner. Once the outer coating wears off, you can test with a few drops of water. If the water soaks in, then a cleaning and then conditioning would be indicated. Pecards BTW is not a cleaner, just a conditioner.