• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW GW DUBOW 27798

Roughwear

Recently John Chapman took apart a Dubow 27798 which was in rough condition. He used it to make two test jackets and told me
There are some subtle differences with my previous Dubow pattern, and this new one looks air-tight in relation to the original.

Originally back in July I odered a russet Dubow from this contract, but changed it to a SAT when he lauched this jacket. However after talking to him on the phone recently decided to revert to my original order as the Dubow is a sharper design. I decided to go for his seal brown Japanese hh with berry knits. He made my size 44 Dubow in the last few days and installed a NOS Talon zip. Most of my original and repro A2s are russet so a seal A2 from this 1942 contract will make a welcome change! Here are some of the pics which John sent me this morning. I should have the jacket in my possession by the weekend.

Dubow_27798_44.jpg

front_view2.jpg

front_view1.jpg

reverse_view1.jpg

reverse_view2.jpg

collar2.jpg

Dubowcollar1.jpg

windflap.jpg

label-1.jpg

epaulet.jpg

Dubowpocket.jpg

dmar836

What a difficult customer you must be Andrew!
Pretty slick! Looks like a spray finish?
Can't wait to see some in-use pics!
Dave

Steve27752

Sorry, but I do not like the colour nor the texture of the leather (I know it is hard to tell from a picture).

Weasel_Loader

I'm surprised you changed from the SAT. I was looking forward to seeing another one here. Oh well, the Dubow's look sharp too. After waiting this long, another week shouldn't be too bad. ;)

Roughwear

Weasel_Loader said:
I'm surprised you changed from the SAT. I was looking forward to seeing another one here. Oh well, the Dubow's look sharp too. After waiting this long, another week shouldn't be too bad. ;)

Perhaps another time. :)

Roughwear

Steve27752 said:
Sorry, but I do not like the colour nor the texture of the leather (I know it is hard to tell from a picture).

Good for you for being honest. Actually the colour and texture of the leather is extremely close to a seal original Dubow that I used to own.

Robman

Thank you sir. The reason I ask is that often when I look at pictures of Dubows in the Maguire book they have a "mahogony glow" about them thst I'm sure was richer/darker 65 plus years ago.

Flyderf

Very nice jacket. I ordered this same contract model from John in September. If you ordered in July, I must be getting closer. The suspense is killing me.

Roughwear

John Lever said:
Absolutely beautiful leather.

The leather used on original Dubows from this contract varied enormously. Most were spray finished and tend to have darker areas where the top coat has worn off the chrome-tanned hh.