New Format, HH, Cable Raincoat 10008-P "Combat Crew"

Discussion in 'Reproduction manufacturers' started by DiamondDave, Aug 8, 2016.

1. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Active Member

Gents,

In the never-ending search for the perfect leather, of the right weight, color and consistency, we have finally made a discovery. This leather is from a US Based Tannery in Chicago, and is perfect for WWII leather jacket clones....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ButteMT61 likes this.
  2. Steve27752

Steve27752 Well-Known Member

Sorry, it may just be me, but when I buy an expensive jacket, I want it to look like new. I will put the wear on it.
    But, it is a very well made jacket.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    DiamondDave likes this.
  3. Jason

Jason Member

Ye gads Dave, the new leather you've found is uncannily like one of my original Perrys; I doubt I'd be able to pick the difference between the two with a casual glance. Looks amazing!

DiamondDave likes this.
  4. Technonut2112

Technonut2112 Active Member

VERY nice.. The color certainly has 'that look' going for it... :cool: The hide also looks to be not too thick, and not too thin for a repro either.. Well done! :)

DiamondDave likes this.
  5. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

It is the closest hide that I have seen to that used to make original Cable A2s. The areas of wear replicate exactly what you see on originals from the 27753 contract.

DiamondDave likes this.
  6. Cobblers161

Cobblers161 Well-Known Member

That's one helluva hide. Nice find Dave and great work!

DiamondDave likes this.
  7. stevetfire

stevetfire Member

Great job I love the look of it , personally I think if people are after the "look " of a heavily patina'd ww2 A2 then this is spot on and I love it .. I've always worn my A2 s hard ( mainly repros and mostly GWs) and really like them heavily worn in ..... It's all an each to their own kind of thing and I think it adds another great layer of choice for people in the broad spectrum of period / period correct ww2 gear / flight jackets
    Good job Dave

DiamondDave likes this.
  8. DiamondDave

Gents,

Thank for all of the kind regards about this jacket.

The leather is from Horween in Chicago, of course.

The hides come to us almost naked, straight from the tanning and drying process. JC and I have developed a new method that we are using to color and tint the leather in a very believable way. But that said, the hides can also be pigmented and left alone.

The point of this test jacket was to show an extreme version of the "Combat Crew" process, with the knowledge that you can get the hides anywhere from a "new" state, all the way up to this point. If nothing else it shows HOW your new jacket will age, and that was the primary goal.

Thanks again, and I am certainly aware that it's not to everyone's taste, which explains why some people will clear coat an old "paint challenged" car, while others would prefer all new paint and making it look like it rolled
    off the factory floor in 1950.

To each his own

DD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason, Skip and Roughwear like this.
  9. Skip

Skip Active Member

The look is unreal Dave, exactly how I would want mine to look after a very hard year. For what its worth I like both the instant 'heavy wear' look, and also the new wear it in as you go look.

DiamondDave likes this.
  10. 2BM2K

2BM2K Active Member

I do like the look of the leather and the worn effect gives it a very authentic appearance. It would make an excellent "Great Escape" Rough Wear jacket.

DiamondDave likes this.
  11. bseal

bseal Well-Known Member

Measurements? Price?

DiamondDave likes this.
  12. DiamondDave

Coming Soon to a Good Wear Sale Page, near you.

DD

13. tibor

tibor Active Member

That is fantastic! The only thing it's really missing is my address and a box! ;) Exceptional work guys.

DiamondDave likes this.
  14. DiamondDave

15. bseal

bseal Well-Known Member

Dibs

DiamondDave likes this.
  16. chamboid

chamboid Member

Fantastic, that really is exceedingly close to wartime leather, whats the weight like, it look light enough. Any photos of the leather preworn?

Just read the details on the Good Wear page, what a great technique, how lond does it take to hand dye each hide?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    DiamondDave likes this.
  17. DiamondDave

The jackets weigh in at about 3 lbs. This is really quite accurate for originals, before they got stiff and heavier with 70 years of drying out, and added moisture.....think about that one.

DD

18. DiamondDave

[QUOTE Just read the details on the Good Wear page, what a great technique, how lond does it take to hand dye each hide?[/QUOTE]

The dyeing, and drying process takes 2 full days to make happen. Thanks for asking!

DD

19. galvestonokie

galvestonokie Member

excellent work, Dave and John. i personally do not like the 'new' look. your work is spot on. bob

DiamondDave likes this.
  20. DiamondDave

Gents,

Here is a quick pic of a customer jacket, with the same leather technique, but un-aged. Also a new pattern for me, the RW 1401-P. And YES, I know some of you
    won't like this jacket, because it has patches, but thought I would show the leather technique in "As new" condition.

[​IMG]

Marv, bseal, ButteMT61 and 3 others like this.