• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New DIY Flight Bag

dmar836

Made this for Linda this week for her to haul her flying stuff. I wanted it to have a military style but not something she couldn't take to the office if she wanted. The incised patch was a year or two old and represents the Short Wing Piper Club with a "Flying Milk Stool" - a nickname for the TriPacer.

I used a vintage zip on the flap pocket. I chose to keep it simple for my first bag. I didn't use the walking foot machine so there are a few wonky stitches. The Juki needs some attention!

I chose to line it like an A-2. The pocket is the same material. I box-stitched the strap too.

She likes it!

Dave

Falcon_52

You certainly are handy with a sewing machine...it looks great! How many hours do you think it took you to make it?

Noel

dmar836

Thanks guys.

Falcon, I guess one could get used to doing them in a couple hours. It was my first and there is fusible webbing ironed to the back of all the green canvas so , like everything, there is a lot not seen. It probably took me 4-5 hours total not counting the patch and tag. I had to go in later and cut the flap pocket so I could re-add the patch. I was all proud and so was she then I stuck my hand in the pocket and was shocked to find I had sewn it nearly shut with that patch.

Now I need one for me. I had thought of making a scaled down E-1 Bombardier case, etc but have yet to decide.

Dave

Andrew

Excellent work. Great adaptation of borrowed elements, which would truely be appreciated by anyone who knows the origin of the details. You really could have your own online shop with the bits you've been making.

Phantomfixer

Dave,
Very clean look to it. Symetrical....The lining bumps it up a grade in my book...Over on the Fedora Lounge there was discussion of a case with A-2 features..or even repurposing a beater/mall A-2 and turning it into a leather case...seems like you have the talent to create such an animal...

John