• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Aero (limited) "Quatermaster" A-2 Run

SuinBruin

I know what you mean, Van, and it wasn't that big a deal... it just struck me that here was a jacket that looked good and was used in a big Hollywood movie, so some folks just assumed it must be an Aero. :roll: Even after I corrected them the posts were along the lines of "well, whoever made them they were predistressed by the costume department" rather than "wow, Good Wear makes a nice A-2." Just admit that you were wrong and that other makers produce good jackets, too. It's not that hard.

Vcruiser

SuinBruin said:
I know what you mean, Van, and it wasn't that big a deal... it just struck me that here was a jacket that looked good and was used in a big Hollywood movie, so some folks just assumed it must be an Aero. :roll: Even after I corrected them the posts were along the lines of "well, whoever made them they were predistressed by the costume department" rather than "wow, Good Wear makes a nice A-2." Just admit that you were wrong and that other makers produce good jackets, too. It's not that hard.

I agree with you.
However most of the 'Aero' talk on the FL is about civi utility jackets that routinely pop up on that forum. LW...GW..Japanese civi repros and various others are mentioned from time to time as well..but Aero is well known and popular for good reasons. I think that most of the disgust here is because an A2 discussion isn't more dominate with the familiar brand names that accompany them. Although there are a couple of Irvin threads...A2s just don't seem to draw the interest. Therefore the A2 expert can't seem to shine over there as he does here. Darn it.

269sqnhudson

Hey look, you wanna stand in your bathroom or attic and takes pics of yourself and your jackets have at it. I'd probably recommend one less jacket and one more friend to have a beer or two with, but that's me. I'm chilled. Well chilled.

No pics of me in jackets on the web buster, not one :D

Dr H

Dr H said:
Equally bored with the Aero worship on the FL.
Tempted to make my next post my GW A-1 and label it an Aero to see the plaudits flood in...

...and then later reveal it as a GW to deafening silence... :roll:

Smithy

If you like an A-2, be it an Aero, a GW, an ELC or any of a myriad of offerings, wear it and enjoy it and bugger what anyone else thinks.

We all have our own criteria for what we want, some want ultra-authenticity, others something in the style of the original in the form they want.

No harm at all with critiquing but just remember at the end of the day perhaps bear in mind what others view as important and what others do not.

At least we're not wearing vinyl! ;)

MikeyB-17

OK, so on a jacket forum, we can't criticise a jacket, in case somebody who owns one gets a quivery bottom lip because a nasty man said something mean about his beloved, not-quite-1941-in-a-box jacket? We might as well pack up now. Apparently also if I say 'I really like that Goodwear/ELC/RMZ etc.', I'm also saying 'All other jackets are crap'. One doesn't appear to be able to like a jacket around here without implying dislike of another. It seems to be a sad fact of life that wherever people gather, factions will develop, folks will naturally form allegiances to their favoured brand/whatever and any criticism thereof, or indeed praise of a rival brand/whatever, results in a reaction.
I have a huge amount of time for Aero-I've owned several of their jackets, including an A-2 which was made of the aforementioned grainless smooth horse, which never broke in despite a year of extensive hammering. It also had one of the horrible 'brass' zips, which was horrible, so I know of what I speak. They've had a great deal of my money over the years, I hope one day they'll have some more. I think Aero make some of the finest jackets money can buy, anywhere, so it pains me when they do military repros with their customary 'that's close enough', or worse 'we know that's how originals were, but we're not doing it like that' attitude. I would, as Andrew says, like to see them raise their game to make their military repros as good as their civvy jackets. I appreciate that not everybody is at all bothered by smaller details, Hell, I've bought enough 'innaccurate' jackets in my time, and loved them (my one and only A-2 is an ELC House steerhide). I was nonetheless delighted when John Chapman proved that it was indeed possible to make repro WWII jackets as near as dammit identical to originals, after people had said for years that it couldn't be done, and indeed shouldn't be done ('if you want original, buy original!'). I don't, BTW, and probably never will, own a Goodwear, in fact in my current circumstances even these Quartermasters jackets are too expensive for me! I don't expect a Goodwear-like level of authenticity out of Aero, but they can do better than they are, and I think we have a right to say so. Unfortunately there's an element of Scottish devilment in there, and I don't think our moaning is going to do much to change Aero's minds. I have on more than one occasion pointed out inaccuracies to them directly, they didn't take much notice, not that I was expecting them to. They are selling plenty of jackets despite our criticisms, but I would just like them to try a little bit harder to get it right, and if I point out a jacket's faults, I hope people here understand that I'm not taking swipes at their nice new jacket, just pointing out things I would like to see improved. You like the look of a Quartermaster jacket, you go right on ahead, and wear the hell out of it in good health, but if somebody says that Aero could have put a more accurate zip on it, that's not meant as a personal attack. But surely I don't have to explain this? Ultimately, as has already been said, this is a jacket discussion forum, and we come here to discuss jackets-that's what we do. If we can't pick apart a jacket without fear of somebody getting the hump, what are we doing here?

Vcruiser

..but it goes beyond that.Mikey.
Anytime Aero A2s are mentioned here...the inaccuracies are pointed out as a fair comparison...but then if any dare state 'Some may like em anyhow' or add more in that vein...the discussion is directed to Aero fever over at the FL...led and fed by the 'A2 Master'. Although 99.9% of Aero fans on the FL are discussing civi repros..makes no difference...since it's still silly and unworthy of Aero adoration.
However...GW repro A2s are praised highly here because of accuracy..as Aero civi repros are lauded for their favorable uniqueness over on that dispised other forum of pure fools and foolishness.
Leads me to believe that there are definately fools and tools on both sides of the fence.. :shock:

Van

airfrogusmc

Vcruiser said:
Anytime Aero A2s are mentioned here...the inaccuracies are pointed out as a fair comparison...but then if any dare state 'Some may like em anyhow' or add more in that vein...the discussion is directed to Aero fever over at the FL...led and fed by the 'A2 Master'. Although 99.9% of Aero fans on the FL are discussing civi repros..makes no difference...since it's still silly and unworthy of Aero adoration.
However...GW repro A2s are praised highly here because of accuracy..as Aero civi repros are lauded for their favorable uniqueness over on that dispised other forum of pure fools and foolishness.
Leads me to believe that there are definately fools and tools on both sides of the fence.. :shock:

Van

I like Aeros. They are well made and they still look the part 100% accurate or not.

A

Anonymous

269sqnhudson said:
Hey look, you wanna stand in your bathroom or attic and takes pics of yourself and your jackets have at it. I'd probably recommend one less jacket and one more friend to have a beer or two with, but that's me. I'm chilled. Well chilled.

No pics of me in jackets on the web buster, not one :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ButteMT61

Vcruiser said:

Van
Agreed Van.

Pick at a jacket if you wish. But I like to think of it this way. If we were all out somewhere having a few beers, how would you critique the jacket I was wearing right there and now? Would you act like an ass or just discuss with some modicum of kindness? I don't get a quivering lower lip over any THING. I do dislike people who feel they're better than others. Mocking sellers. Mocking makers. Most folks here are educated and probably good fellas. No need for it. Like I said. Is it really the goal to alienate members? Are they "pussies" because they don't like it? Don't think so.

MikeyB-17

If we were out for a few beers and somebody turned up in their new Aero Quartermasters jacket, I would say something along the lines of 'looks great on you, but if it was me I'd be thinking of changing the zip', and we'd probably have a discussion about that. But we're not out for a beer, we're on an internet discussion forum about, amongst other things, reproduction WWII flight jackets, and the various details thereof. Whatever jacket we discuss, there's probably somebody out there who owns one, and I'd like to think we can point out a jacket's faults without them getting upset-if we can't I don't see the point of having a discussion forum about repro jackets. If I say 'I think Aero are using horrible zips', that's not an attack on somebody's treasured new jacket, it's a criticism of Aero for using what are, IMHO, ugly modern zips that look nothing like WWII examples. I don't see how pointing out a manufacturer's inability or refusal to reproduce a contract jacket accurately means I think I'm better than somebody else. I agree mocking someone isn't on, but there's a difference between that and talking about the pros and cons of a particular reproduction jacket.

ButteMT61

Like Van pointed out earlier, it's "Vintage Leather Jackets".
I think that if you have the need to point out the imperfect zipper, snap or label, you may be a little tightly wound.
Des anyone here buy a Quartermaster thinking it's a stich for stich rep? Of course not. So why bother? Nobody is going to replicate what JC does @ GW for less than 1/2 the price. So is there a need to focus on that? I'm asking its all sincerity. Seems like some just want/need to be tools.

MikeyB-17

Just because it's a 'cheap' jacket, doesn't mean it can't be an accurate repro-Bill Kelso seem to manage it for a similar price. As I said earlier, I applaud Aero for producing a more affordable jacket, but I just think there are bits of it they could improve without making it much more expensive. But I'm just a tightly-wound tool.

Jeff M

ButteMT61 said:
I think that if you have the need to point out the imperfect zipper, snap or label, you may be a little tightly wound.

Ahh...but if not here, then where? ;)

Dr H

Jeff M said:
ButteMT61 said:

Ahh...but if not here, then where? ;)

Welcome to the toolbox... :cool: