• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Aero (limited) "Quatermaster" A-2 Run

GoodTimesGone

Much more affordable price range there. I kind of favor the very "authentic" steerhide A-2, but they're all sharp looking.

zoomer

These are the 42-18775 contract, also reproed by Good Wear and Bill Kelso.
Looks like rust knits are your only choice as they're all made up ahead of time.

For comparison, GW's "Acme" 18775:
front_view2.jpg

Kelso's "Arco" 18775:
AERO18775_1.jpg

Original Beacon Aero 18775:
Aero_fr.jpg

And the very limited run (less than ten?) Eastman 18775 from 1996:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13895

Roughwear

The GW and BK repros are far more accurate than these offerings on the Aero web site, which I would not give house room for. The repro zips look dreadful and that caramel leather looks like plastic with no discernible grain. :roll: They really need to raise their game.

A

Anonymous

Looks like it deserves a test run at the price. Would like to see one worn in.

GoodTimesGone

Roughwear said:
leather looks like plastic with no discernible grain. :roll: They really need to raise their game.
I really don't care for shiny smooth leather. Perhaps that's why I favored the steerhide example. I had an Aero house A-2 in russet smooth horsehide a couple of years ago. I rolled it up and put it under my pillow, laid it on the couch and leaned against it while watching t.v. yet it would not develop grain. There were only a few creases that appeared but they looked like creases in a plastic bag. I finally sold it on ebay. I am aware that not all Aero horsehide A-2s look that way, as I've seen some beautiful examples on this forum.

ButteMT61

Oh yes, the ever so predictable Aero sucks replies in the VLJ. Perhaps some should read the intended purpose of this line again. I've a number of Aeros, and none exhibit the "grainless" nature of some showed. Please take note: this lower priced line is made of remnants of hides left over. I think a number of them look rather nice, if not "accurate" to please some.
Honestly, some of you need to get off the snotty mentality when it comes to jackets not made by two or three makers.
Really, this isn't the only purpose of a jacket - to be accurate. Lord. :roll:

GoodTimesGone

I do not intend to imply Aero sucks. It's just the one I owned did not appeal to me. I purchased it on ebay used and the photo was not super clear to show the hide.

bseal

I agree with everything Butte says, with the exception of the jacket not being sucky.

A

Anonymous

Really, this isn't the only purpose of a jacket - to be accurate. Lord.

If the purpose of a jacket wasn't to be accurate, for the gents in this forum, then we 'd be discussing the new US Wings A-2 with the blue lining (yes you read correctly blue - great stuff)

BCIA2front_225.jpg

or the new National Geographic A-2 with the map lining

1072608.jpg

I 'm sure they 're both great in keeping the cold out (the main purpose of a jacket).

So, why are we discussing Aero when there is a ton of other non-accurate A-2s out there? and at cheaper prices too.
Just explain that to me.

A

Anonymous

The jacket is close to being a high end repro at a reasonable price. Maybe every stitch is not to the standard of an ELC or GW, but the look and quality at the price might be close enough to satisfy those who do not wish to toss a grand for fear of our wives seperating our nuts from our nut sac. Thats called a run on sentence, sorry

ButteMT61

PLATON said:
Really, this isn't the only purpose of a jacket - to be accurate. Lord.

If the purpose of a jacket wasn't to be accurate, for the gents in this forum, then we 'd be discussing the new US Wings A-2 with the blue lining (yes you read correctly blue - great stuff)

BCIA2front_225.jpg

or the new National Geographic A-2 with the map lining

1072608.jpg

I 'm sure they 're both great in keeping the cold out (the main purpose of a jacket).

So, why are we discussing Aero when there is a ton of other non-accurate A-2s out there? and at cheaper prices too.
Just explain that to me.

Well, we discussed the POS jackets BK made for years, why not these? I know, I had one.
Lots of folks start out with a USW, Avirex, etc. lots of folks don't have money to buy an original or high end repop. But hey. If the place is just for pricks and expensive jackets, I missed that when I signed up! Thanks for clearing that up.

Rutger

chitchat said:
The jacket is close to being a high end repro at a reasonable price. Maybe every stitch is not to the standard of an ELC or GW, but the look and quality at the price might be close enough to satisfy those who do not wish to toss a grand for fear of our wives seperating our nuts from our nut sac. Thats called a run on sentence, sorry

totally agree, the OP said it all.
But then again, nothing wrong with pointing out which elements are not up to scratch with originals.
I have a feeling Butte was expecting some flak and had his own gun ready to retaliate upon the first notice of incoming ;) .
I admire the way that Aero are dealing with things.

ButteMT61

Well, many of the same geniuses claimed steer was "inaccurate" too. But now the gods have published a book that says otherwise. So steer A-2’s are all the rage. Really, some of this sh*t is hilarious, 'crept it turns off 90% of the normal people from posting in a place like this. But hey, there's like 12 people keeping the post count going, and I guess that's good enough.

A

Anonymous

Who cares for accurate? It's all a matter of taste.
Looks like Aeros are tasteful since they have so many friends.

Roughwear

Here's a nice touch.

To complete the perfect detailling of our recreation we've fitted an Art Deco boxed, Triple Marked Talon zippers, just as used on the original contract.

Sadly when I looked at the pics I only saw inaccurate repro zip. :roll:

Roughwear

ButteMT61 said:
Well, many of the same geniuses claimed steer was "inaccurate" too. But now the gods have published a book that says otherwise. So steer A-2’s are all the rage. Really, some of this sh*t is hilarious, 'crept it turns off 90% of the normal people from posting in a place like this. But hey, there's like 12 people keeping the post count going, and I guess that's good enough.

Who are the geniuses? Is cow hide really all the rage? Does the use of swear words really strengthen your argument?