• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Aero B-10

Tommy

I thought this A-9 jacket deal made me think of something...

http://www.godarsinc.com/ww2-us-army-air-forces-type-a9-flying-jacket-p-164.html

IIRC, on the TFL forum, the conclusion was that it was a repro with a wrongly colored shell they covered with a "rare prototype" story. the plot thickens!

I think the A_9 label as I've stated happened, but was nothing more than a mislabelling. It appears to be made otherwise to the B-10 Specifications. I'm gonna try and dig up some more period dark cloth examples of B-10 to B-15a. I need to check what was posted on the other thread when Im not on my phone. I'll start with the Roughwear B-15a, which they were able to qualify with an orginal. The point being that the colour Aero have chosen has precedence and offers something a little different.

B-15A 2016 1.png

Tommy

Go for it! I went for dark brown but some originals and Real McCoy's go for lighter, almost coffee coloured buttons that also look really cool and 'pop' out from the dark green cloth.

Yes, it's a real shame and pretty damn depressing! Insurance is dealing with everything as we speak, there is currently a team of guys outside clearing all the debris away - on a weekend! Now that's good service. Hopefully soon we'll be able to retrieve the car, get it all written off and order a new one - and then get all the building work repaired.

You can have a choice of buttons... just when I thought I'd made all my choices for this...

Cocker

Tommy, interestingly, my combo should look somewhat like that B-15! With the dark shade of the shell, mid brown fur and knits (and brown buttons).

I'd gladly see another pictures of dark green B-10 (or A-9?!) if you can find some.

Smithy

nored412.jpg

Struggling to find darker shells but here's some lighter colours?

I think some of the really dark greens are possibly due to mid century colour film. You see the same thing with aircraft paint schemes, for example in some colour photos of RAF aircraft particular those with the early war day fighter scheme the Dark Earth and Dark Green can appear very dark, darker than what it actually was.

Tommy

I think some of the really dark greens are possibly due to mid century colour film. You see the same thing with aircraft paint schemes, for example in some colour photos of RAF aircraft particular those with the early war day fighter scheme the Dark Earth and Dark Green can appear very dark, darker than what it actually was.

I'd definately agree that images can be deceptive. I do belief a limited number of darker jackets were produced in limited numbers. Maybe when these go into full production a more standard issue cloth would be good as well?

To be honest I'm not buying it for 100% historical accuracy but it looks to be a great jacket at a great price.

jnlight75

Also posted on the other thread, but I think this photo seems to show a range of cuff/shell combinations and color. The lighting appears the same across the jackets at least, so the one on the right is definitely a little darker.

BTW: Credit goes to Jeffrey Ethell collection of photos (quite interesting): http://www.ww2color.com.

Caption reads: L to R: Lt. Billie B. Watson, Maj. Steve Stone and Capt. George Marvin coming out of mission briefing. Heading out from Foggia, Italy, for a mission with the 97th Squadron, 62nd Fighter Group.

b10 (3).jpg

Last edited:

jnlight75

And one more from the collection of interest. This is one of the "newer" looking B-10s I have seen in a period photo. Usually they look stained or well used. And I'm sure they probably didn't hesitate to clean things up with gasoline, so who knows the effect on the fabric. The lighter jacket in the photo above appears to be faded and missing the AAF insignia on the shoulder, so certainly could have been cleaned with something strong.

06946.jpg

MeachamLake

so, thats why the other guys in the unit said, "man, that tastes like shit".

LOL!

Great to see so many people have ordered these.

@Ken at Aero Leather , if the new B-10 is a success might we see other cloth jackets make a return to the Aero lineup in the future? I believe you used to do a B-15 in the past - could that be resurrected first? As shown in this thread alone, there's a lot of other cloth jackets that are currently monopolised by the Japanese repro brands...I'd be first in line for a custom M-421a for sure! ;)

Ken at Aero Leather

LOL!

Great to see so many people have ordered these.

@Ken at Aero Leather , if the new B-10 is a success might we see other cloth jackets make a return to the Aero lineup in the future? I believe you used to do a B-15 in the past - could that be resurrected first? As shown in this thread alone, there's a lot of other cloth jackets that are currently monopolised by the Japanese repro brands...I'd be first in line for a custom M-421a for sure! ;)

If we have machining time, maybe the B-15, we've got all the patterns from the 1990s production

Cocker

Check out this picture. Even if it was colorized, the shade of the B-10 is way more darker than the OD of the Jug behind.
1b46802664fb7c91de6d9171b6dd868e.jpg

Envoyé de mon SM-G950F en utilisant Tapatalk

Smithy

Hi Cedric,

Whilst it does look darker in the image this could be due to the image, its processing and if it has been adjusted for posting on the internet.

Another factor to consider if the contrast between the OD and jacket is correct is that the image is of Lt McCleary and his "Wheel Boy" which we know was a P-47D -22 and as such was specifically painted with OD 41 which faded quite noticeably in the field.

However I think the image has either been colourised/over painted or at least fiddled with in some way as it's quite noticeable from a black and white image of this airframe:

janders.gif

Cocker

Smithy, the hotlink of the b&w picture doesn't show... I'm currently reading a book on the 362nd FG and this picture showed up. Indeed as I said, it has been colorized, and may not reflect accurately the color of the jacket, but I though it was still interesting.