• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need to blacken a zipper?

Spitfireace

I've discovered that if you need a zipper, and or pull, blackened, you can use a Sharpie black permanent marker. It is easy to do, just run the marker over the zipper and voila! Instant black. It's permanent, easy, looks a lot better than out of the box crappy zipper such as on Bronson etc. Works. Try it, you will like it.

Spitfireace

I tried to blacken an old Conmar zipper on my 1961 MA-1 and it's not easy to do by nitrate methods. That said, I won't blacken something like that with Sharpie. It's mixed results reblackening a vintage zipper. I'm just talking cheap china zippers.

Spitfireace

20240304_120534.jpg

Spitfireace

As I said, I wouldn't recommend this for anything except cheap zippers on Bronson for instance. Not sure how long it's gonna last, just that it does tone down the glare so to speak.

dbtk44

I did this very thing to a pair of side-zip motorcycle boots...black leather, and bright silver zippers..WHY they couldn't have just gone with a black zippers, hell BRASS woulda been 10 times better, but Noooo..
Sorry, I digress...

Anyway, works pretty well. I found the best technique for me is to go over the zipper, let it dry for a moment, then go over it again, repeat till it develops the black-ness you want. The dye builds nicely.
Rubs off eventually to a certain extent of course (Sharpies are just alcohol based dye in a pen form after all) but reapplying is cheap and easy. Alcohol takes it right off btw, so easy to reverse if you're not diggin it