• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help identifying the following brown bomber? jacket

Crayfish

This is a very heavy and thick brown bomber(?) jacket with dark brown sheep collar, brown stretch cuffs and waste, epaulettes, deep snap front pockets and slash pockets and large vintage talon zipper. The lining is olive diamond pattern nylon with the tag missing. There is a tag inside instructing where to get the jacket cleaned.

I am not sure of the outer material ... Feels too thick for cowhide (perhaps horse hide?).

See attached pics.

Any info on this jacket would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Pete

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 319
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    487.5 KB · Views: 308
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    408.5 KB · Views: 306
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    788.7 KB · Views: 310
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    591.1 KB · Views: 308
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    277.9 KB · Views: 323
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    500.8 KB · Views: 298

MikeyB-17

That's a Schott. Shape of the pockets, snaps top and bottom of windflap, that type of zip. Often seen with fur linings, but various permutations are around. Google 'Schott flight jacket'or similar. Probably cow or steer.

Crayfish

Thanks for the info Mike. I've been telling people it was a vintage WWII jacket....I guess I'm wrong.

Any idea how old it really is...I will have to tell another story.

Regards

Pete

I had one almost identical that I bought in downtown NYC in about 1983. The only difference was that mine had a white pile lining rather than the quilted one in yours. The day I bought it, there were two variations available in the store, both in either brown or black: fur collar with pile lining, and plain collar with quilted lining. Yours seems to be a hybrid of those two styles.

Note that this was a few years before Schott introduced their current "4-in-1" model with the removable collar fur and lining. These newer ones also feature a G-1 style belted back, not the seam-across-the-shoulder-blades back on yours and the one I had.

Today's version: https://www.schottnyc.com/products/a-2-naked-cowhide-leather-flight.htm?catID=46

Not a "real" flight jacket, but a fantastically tough utilitarian garment. I wore mine daily through several NYC winters, and eventually donated it to goodwill when it was very battered... and I'd put on some weight and it was too small.

dmar836

Schott biker jackets have a great rep and are collectable. I have a couple.
Nothing wrong with a good leather coat!
Dave