• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Navy G-1 questions

fleet16b

Hi Guys

Not knowing much about G-1's , I have come across two jackets in a flea market

Both are stencilled (holes) in the wind flap "USN , one has USN stencil painted behind the fur collar.

One has a tag that says:

JACKET,FLYERS
INTERMEDIATE TYPE G-1
SIZE 42
??? 7823E (AS)
STAR SPORTSWEAR MFG CORP
3415-268-3800

The other one's tag is not very readable but appears to be different The last line (bottom ) of the tag says Size 40
Both jackets are in very aged shape and appear to be original and the knits on one for sure need replacing.
Th leather is restorable with a good treatment of picards

Sorry I have no pics as I did not at this point buy them and did not want to appear too interested to the seller.
He is asking $30 cn each

Any comments from the G-1 experts would be appreciated.

Fleet16b

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
fleet16b said:

Oh .... do we have to wait for them? :)

Late 70's, not really collectable, but cheap enough if you like them ... even with the work.

But with a little patience, and a few more dollars, you will find much nicer examples.

Curahee

Take a look at this website http://moorecustom.com/jackets/

I wouldn't buy it, go for something earlier like an C or if you can find it an A or B. I think that of the earlier type G-1's the
(AER) of the 50's are the most collectible and are easier to find. They will need some work but it's worth it I think.

fleet16b

deeb7 said:
fleet16b said:

Oh .... do we have to wait for them? :)

Late 70's, not really collectable, but cheap enough if you like them ... even with the work.

But with a little patience, and a few more dollars, you will find much nicer examples.

Thanks
I am not a G-1 collector so obviously know nothing about them burt suspected that they were not original.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
fleet16b said:
Thanks
I am not a G-1 collector so obviously know nothing about them burt suspected that they were not original.

They are original, in that they are issued jackets .... just look for examples made earlier.

chrgod2

The jacket with USN stamped behind the collar and unreadable jacket might be worth a second look...A late fifties jacket? If it is in ok condition save for the knits, it should be worth the 30 dollars.

I remember the flea markets when I was in the US some years ago. Fun place to look around, even though it mostly was modern rubbish. Did not find any jackets. :)