• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Name That Maker

RayR

There are so many knowledgable people here...I hope 1 or more of you might give me some insight into this jacket.
You can see it's a WWII A-2. Probably civilian or a trainer by my guess. There is no X-pattern on the shoulder. It has a top and bottom snap with no collar hook.

It seems to have a NOS or copy Talon Zipper, replacement knits, and a new lining. Who ever put the lining in either did not save the maker tag, or didn't have it to replace. Instead, there is a very faded, hand-written tag stitched in.

Definitely seems to be horse hide and quite old. BTW, I HATE PHOTOBUCKET :evil: . I even "replace original image" when I straightened these up...and you see what good that did, lol Perhaps you can see it better in the folder: http://s198.photobucket.com/user/shootermcgavin_01/library/Unknown WWII Flight Jacket

Thanks for your comments!

20150921_164456_zpseetkzjre.jpg

2015-09-212016.48.03_zpsn2frzxwq.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa99/shootermcgavin_01/Unknown%20WWII%20Flight%20Jacket
/20150921_164506_zpstp35qnwn.jpg

20150921_164356_zpsrjowhcrz.jpg

20150921_164417_zpsjo9mvh2a.jpg

20150921_164557_zpsv4acs3oh.jpg

Peter Graham

It doesn't look WW2 to me but the remains of the AAF decal and what looks like another one in the lining suggest that it is. I think it's a civi jacket which was depot modified by adding epaulettes, the decals and maybe the lining and that white label, unless it's a lash up movie jacket. I'd be surprised if the maker can be named, but stranger things have happened.

Roughwear

Yes, Peter is correct. It's a privately purchased A2 and could have been made by any of a hundred or so makers.

Ken at Aero Leather

I can't see any evidence of a reline in the pics, label looks like a Film Wardrobe Dept or Commecial Wardrobe Hire label, I've seen many similar labels over the years

RayR

Ken at Aero Leather said:
I can't see any evidence of a reline in the pics, label looks like a Film Wardrobe Dept or Commecial Wardrobe Hire label, I've seen many similar labels over the years

Good observation, Ken. I am an actor and have seen my share of wardrobe and it didn't cross my mind, but it could be. I know the jacket is very old and horsehide. It certainly appears to be of the WWII era to me. John Chapman (Goodyear) offered that it could have been a flight trainers jacket. He said many times he has seen those with no X in the shoulder epaulettes.