• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nam era jungle jackets

Peter Graham

I picked up these three Vietnam era jungle jackets from the Watchman a while back. I really like them, partly because of the similarity to the M-42 jump jacket, a jacket I've always admired and also the trim cut and huge pockets. One was unbadged and I've left it that way. The other two needed some insignia replaced and now they are back the way they originally were. They are all different shades and my favourite is the oldest, saltiest one which is a real grey/green colour. I'm sure these jackets are common in the US but they are quite rare here in the UK and I'm happy to have acquired three of them. Roll on the spring so I can get some wear out of them.

junglejackets002.jpg

junglejackets005.jpg

junglejackets004.jpg

junglejackets003.jpg

junglejackets001.jpg

Atticus

Peter Graham said:
Thanks Geoff. You've given me another patching project idea.
You're welcome. Here's what they're wearing...with a "Horse Blanket" on the left shoulder.

patch8.gif

AF

Monsoon

RCSignals said:
I've liked them as well. The US Army should have standardized on that pattern

Well, they sorta did.

First was the M42 jump jacket, then the jungle fatigues. After that was the BDUs, then ACUs/ABUs/Marpat. They all have family roots going back to the M42.

FtrPlt

The jungle jackets are a collecting field unto themselves. If you read up on them, you'll see the earliest versions had exposed buttons and were also made from non-ripstop material.

Other than wearing these at the very end of their wear-out date (1987 or 88 -- can't remember anymore!), I don't know a lot about them. There was considerable controversy within the Army over whether the name tapes should be horizontal or aligned to the pocket flaps. In the late 80s, we wore the tapes horizontal to match how they were being worn on the BDUs.

From a wearing perspective -- very comfortable. However, they didn't hold a crease and by the end of the day looked like something that was rumpled up in a bag for several weeks!

The group photo also shows 3 guys wearing the old two-piece flying uniform. Disaster from a safety perspective. With the shirt untucked like these guys are wearing them, any fire would enter the shirt and then the nomex would do a great job keeping the fire inside rather than out. This is what prompted the return to the traditional one-piece CWU-27. The Army -- ever committed to making sure its aircrew had to look like the rest of the army, resurrected the two-piece idea back in the 80s and re-implemented it sometime in the 90s as the BDNFU (battledress nomex flying uniform) -- basically fireproof BDUs with an extra inner skirt to tuck in. Since replaced with the UCP version and, my guess, that it too will be replaced with the latest generation of combat uniform which will be fireproof/resistant for everyone in the army

Peter Graham

Thanks for the info FtrPlt. As far as I know there were three patterns of jungle jacket. The one you mentioned, having the exposed buttons being the first type. I think the one I'm wearing may be a second type as it's rather different from the other two I got, being a completely different colour, somewhat shorter and having a smaller collar and a different weave of ripstop material. Maybe it's just a contract variation. I should really read up on these. I've just noticed that the guy in the first photo has the Air Cav scouts patch sewn right over the pocket flap of his jacket. Maybe he reckons three pockets is enough.

watchmanjimg

Peter Graham said:
Thanks for the info FtrPlt. As far as I know there were three patterns of jungle jacket. The one you mentioned, having the exposed buttons being the first type. I think the one I'm wearing may be a second type as it's rather different from the other two I got, being a completely different colour, somewhat shorter and having a smaller collar and a different weave of ripstop material. Maybe it's just a contract variation. I should really read up on these. I've just noticed that the guy in the first photo has the Air Cav scouts patch sewn right over the pocket flap of his jacket. Maybe he reckons three pockets is enough.

Peter, all of your jackets are third, fourth, or fifth-pattern depending on how picky you are. Here's the basic rundown:

First pattern (non-ripstop): exposed buttons, epaulets, waist tabs, gas flap, hanger loop at neck, drain holes in pockets, inner pen slots on both upper pockets
Second pattern (non-ripstop): covered buttons, epaulets, waist tabs, gas flap, hanger loop at neck, drain holes in pockets, inner pen slots on both upper pockets (variant model also produced without epaulets and/or waist tabs but retaining all other listed features)
Third pattern (non-ripstop initially, ripstop from 1967 on): covered buttons, no epaulets/waist tabs/gas flap, retains hanger loop at neck (early non-ripstop only), back yoke, drain holes reintroduced with ripstop version, inner pen slots on both upper pockets (left side only in ripstop version)

Some collectors classify the ripstop jackets with drain holes in the pockets as a fourth pattern. Those lacking the V-shaped cuff gussets ('69 on) are sometimes called the fifth pattern.

FtrPlt

Thanks, watchmanjimg! I knew there were variations on the jungles but didn't know any of the particulars.

We had many, many (did I say many?) bar fights with the 1st Cav guys, back in the day. At Ft. Hood, the 1st Cav was on one side of the base and the 6th Cav was on the other. The standard form was to start commenting on their patch. Basically we taunted them with: Your patch? Oh, you mean for the horse you never rode? The line you never crossed? And the color? Well, that speaks for itself! In hindsight, obviously really stupid. The 1st Cav has a very illustrious history and clearly from a helicopter standpoint, defines the helicopter war that was Viet Nam.

havocpaul

I just picked up a nice 1970 dated example in camouflage with name strip and US Air Force strip above the pockets, all labels present. Couldn't find much info on the cammo version in use with USAF but obviously would be used in Vietnam. I always find a Medium Regular fits me in these and M-65's whereas I usually wear a 'large' in most jackets.

Tim P

havocpaul said:
I just picked up a nice 1970 dated example in camouflage with name strip and US Air Force strip above the pockets, all labels present. Couldn't find much info on the cammo version in use with USAF but obviously would be used in Vietnam. I always find a Medium Regular fits me in these and M-65's whereas I usually wear a 'large' in most jackets.

The USAF security Police enjoyed a liberal issue of these ERDL sets. more commonly the ripstop variant. I particularly like them.

Tim P

The pattern itself dates to 1948 although garments were not produced in it until the latter half of the 60's. It was reported to make the wearer all but invisible in much of the terrain in vietnam, particularly to helo crews who were quick to report its efficacy. the green dominant colouraation seems more common than the so- called brown dominant variant of the same print.
I must start kicking about in my trop jackets, they are cool. not today though, today is N3 weather with the winds we have.... that or goretex over a fleece. :)

a2jacketpatches

Here's a couple I just dug up during my move, the ERDL is well used but not abused and the poplin is like new and appears as if never washed. It also has a civilian name tag of typical in country hand guided embroidery, the tag is on the side where U.S. Army goes, probably a civilian photographer, journalist, or something like that. Let me know if interested, 30- on the poplin ( Small Long ) and 15- on the ERDL ( Small Reg ).
stuff040.jpg

stuff041.jpg

stuff042.jpg

stuff043.jpg

stuff044.jpg

stuff033.jpg

stuff034.jpg

stuff035.jpg

stuff036.jpg

stuff037.jpg

stuff038.jpg

stuff039.jpg

dujardin

heyyyyy cool 'jacket' Peter

you've got the style to wear those coton 'jackets' ;)

i like the camouflage one

Peter Graham

a2jacketpatches said:
Let me know if interested, 15- on the ERDL ( Small Reg )
I've already got one but I'm a hopeless hoarder. Can you give me an all in price to the UK ? Cheers. Hey Marcel, thanks for the kind words. I can't remember myself and style being mentioned in the same sentence before. I must show it to my wife :). Since the thread started I've replaced all the missing patches from the plain one. It's now back to being a 101st Airborne jacket. Pics to follow.

a2jacketpatches

30- for both, I'm throwing in the ERDL for zip, But I think it'll cost 20- for shipping to the UK. I'll figure it all out in the morning and give you a total. Maybe cheaper Parcel Post or something but I'm not familiar with anything but Priority Mail.