• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

N-2b MIL-J-6278A and MIL-J-6278B

oose

Hi all,
I'm hoping to add the list of N-2b and N-3b contracts to my blog by the end of the week. But I still have a couple of questions.

1) Was there ever an N-2b MIL-J-6278A ? and if so who made it ?

2) Was Rolen the only manufacturer of the N-2b MIL-J-6278B ?

I just picked up this Rolen MIL-J-6278B last night, I've been looking for a good one for a while now, hopefully this will fit the bill. I'll post better shots when it arrives.

All the best
Stu

oose

Hi
I've looked every wear, and although noted on many websites I can find no example of the 6278A, maybe it existed on paper, but due to the number of N-2a on offer it was never ordered, and by the time the need was there at the end of the 50's the spec had changed to the B model. So the first N-2b was the Rolen B series.

Hi Peter, I hope its a good as it looks in the photo it came in at the top of my limited budget. fingers crossed!

Anyhow here is my first list of N-2 series jackets up to the N-2b D series. I'm sure I've made mistakes and missed a few out, please let me know if you can correct or educate me in any way! :D

All the best
stu

watchmanjimg

oose said:
Hi I've looked every wear, and although noted on many websites I can find no example of the 6278A, maybe it existed on paper, but due to the number of N-2a on offer it was never ordered, and by the time the need was there at the end of the 50's the spec had changed to the B model. So the first N-2b was the Rolen B series.

Stu, as always your hard work is appreciated. However, while I have yet to find an actual example of a 6278A I think it's a mistake to assume they never existed. As we all know, nylon flight jackets developed rapidly in the '50s and '60s and some variants were made in small numbers and are correspondingly rarer than certain others. The straight 7448 L-2B made by Great Lakes, for example, is incredibly rare but we have photographic evidence of its existence.

I'm sure one will turn up sooner or later. :D

oose

Hi,
I recon your probably right on that, one will pop out when you least expect it! I haven't seen the label on mine yet, maybe it just might...be! ;) :D
I suspect that if it exists it will have the black snaps not green as on the B model. I'll keep looking, must be a small contract, but probably out there somewhere.

All the best
stu

bebel

Hi Stu,

Some years ago a good flight jacket collector gave me a .doc with this information: 6278A was issued in June 1953 and 6278B in July 1954. This short time between these two models could be the reason why the A model is so rare.

Thank you again for your highly appreciated website!

Franck

oose

Hi Peter,
Yes, anytime pm me when your going to be here and I'm sure we can go for a pint or two. :D

Hi Franck,
I kind of doubt that the 6278B was that early, the green snaps alone make me feel that its more in the 1958-59 range. As for the 6278A I have an open mind, but 'full gear' does not mention it and I I've been looking very hard, I've found 3 or 4 N-2b Aero Medical test jackets, but no sign of the A model.

One thing I have to say is that I have gone through the photo's I have on my blog and others I have picked up over the years, and the N-2b is missing from the photographic record from the 1950's, the N-2a appear regularly into the 1960's, but the N-2b is absent.

Just trying to sort out the N-3b list now I should get it up tomorrow.

All the best
stu

watchmanjimg

oose said:
Hi Peter,
Yes, anytime pm me when your going to be here and I'm sure we can go for a pint or two. :D

Hi Franck,
I kind of doubt that the 6278B was that early, the green snaps alone make me feel that its more in the 1958-59 range. As for the 6278A I have an open mind, but 'full gear' does not mention it and I I've been looking very hard, I've found 3 or 4 N-2b Aero Medical test jackets, but no sign of the A model.

One thing I have to say is that I have gone through the photo's I have on my blog and others I have picked up over the years, and the N-2b is missing from the photographic record from the 1950's, the N-2a appear regularly into the 1960's, but the N-2b is absent.

Just trying to sort out the N-3b list now I should get it up tomorrow.

All the best
stu

Stu, I believe it's pretty well settled that at least some sage jackets were in service by sometime in the mid-'50s but I've always been skeptical of the claim that they were issued during the Korean Conflict. While not comprehensive as to all the models, Franck's information regarding the N-2B shows that it could never have been produced and distributed during the war. I suspect a similar situation applies to the other sage jackets.

My gut feeling has always been that they were in wider circulation by 1957 or thereabouts.

oose

The B-15D defiantly made it to Korea by 1953 but as for the MA-1 L-2b N series Jackets, I recon 1955-56 is a good year for them to start and then to dominate and replace the blue jackets in the photographic record.

Here are a couple of B-15D in Korea, that I've posted before, but its all I have for sage jackets in Korea.

plus here is a shot of Maj. Charles C. Jones, CO of 452nd FS, 322nd FW at Foster AFB Texas in 1955 with his new L-2b.

All the best
stu

watchmanjimg

Stu, I've seen these pictures but are you sure they're pre-armistice? Between the jackets and some of the flight suits there's an awful lot of sage. I'd be interested to know the date of the photos.

bebel

The first photo is showing four officers from the 67th FBS "Fighting Cocks" at summer of 1953 or 1954 in Korea.

The first officer from the left is Lt Col. Harry Evans who was the 1949s Skyblaizers leader. The officer at the right is the 67th FBS co., Richard Kenney. Major Kenney got 4 german aircrafts in Mediterranean theater and was then a ww2 pow after having been shot down over Sicilia in 1943.

On this interesting picture we can see the first K-2B flying suit version. Major Carl Lovell is wearing an A-2 jacket. A-2s were pretty rarer at this period, I guess.

Thank you for the pictures, Stu. Always amazing to see so colored flightgears from this jet era.

Franck

oose

Hi all,
Jacket arrived today, and its in great condition, one darn on one cuff, that all. Thought I'd post an initial image of it and with a couple of brothers, Skyline N-2b and Knopf N-2a, just for nylon color comparison, the grayer Rolen is a my favorite of all. I'll post better pics later when time allows.

All the best
stu

oose

Peter Graham said:
Very impressive Stu. They look great. You've got a same white shelf as we have. Ikea by any chance ? ;)
Thanks Peter!, I'm live in an imperial made flat from the 1930's so anything from Ikea does not fit so its all home made by me from the timber yard and local skips! I still have yet to have one room fully complete room but the Easter break should remedy that.

One last image my MA-1 collection 58 Dobbs on Albert turner CWU 1/P, 66 Alpha and 62 Skyline. Vertually all my green nylon is a different shade.

All the best
stu

bebel

Stu,

Would it be possible to see labels of each of your superb N-2 series jackets? Thank you.

Franck

bebel

Thanks, Stu.

Was the S.H. Knopf's contract from the N-2A beginning? Never seen before.

Franck