• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

N-2 Aero Medical Lab

Sid-Vintage

Always been partial to the "N" series jackets and was pleased to recently add this one to my collection which rounds things off nicely. Interesting ribbing appears original to the jacket and unlike any I have previously come across on any nylon jacket. First time I've come across one of these Test Sample examples and the N-2 had been eluding me for years so double bonus....

1-6.jpg

3-4.jpg

5-4.jpg

6-4.jpg

Peter Graham

Wow, absolutely splendid ! Where on earth did you pick it up and what size is it ? The shell appears to be more a sage green than the olive of the production N-2's. Judging by your photos it is possible that the knits have been replaced. Great catch anyway. Well done.

Sid-Vintage

Thanks. The jacket was actually saved from being trashed / turned into landfill. Someone had recently thrown it out. Looking closer the ribbing does look like quite likely replaced. The colour is interesting as windflap area and interior a distinctly different colour more of a drab olive than the more green like hue displayed on the rest of the jacket giving a nice 2 tone appearance. Interesting also is the leather name tab which has been scratched out appears to be "AMC Test Sample" with the first three letters being hard to decipher. Size looks like Medium. A bit small but have deadstock N-3 stashed away that fits and tempted to break it out once in a while this winter.... :p

1-7.jpg

2-6.jpg

Tim P

those are definite replacement knits from the pics. I would be sore tempted to rereplace them.

Weasel_Loader

Nice find. That's the first test sample N-2 that I've seen. The N-2 and N-3 are still on my wish lists. Also would love to own one of those early N-2 and N-3As with brown mouton inside the hood and real coyote fur. ;)

watchmanjimg

Yes, an excellent find. I attempted (unsuccessfully) to score a Test Sample L-2A awhile back but the owner refused to sell. It previously belonged to a general and was made of a dark blue gabardine-like fabric instead of nylon.

Willy McCoy

Nice score. I like the leather patch. Something I've never seen.

The test sample L2-A jacket that is like gabardine is called a "party suit". Given to high ranking officers. I see them come up on eBay from time to time. I think LJ militaria has a couple.

oose

Great score, wish I had one! Was't the Test Facility at Wright Field because the leather patch is like that on the Wright field patches. Just a theory.

All the Best
stu

watchmanjimg

Willy McCoy said:
Nice score. I like the leather patch. Something I've never seen.

The test sample L2-A jacket that is like gabardine is called a "party suit". Given to high ranking officers. I see them come up on eBay from time to time. I think LJ militaria has a couple.

Indeed! I've seen the ones on LJMilitaria. Definitely the same type.