• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

N-1 deck jacket

Peter Graham

I just got this really nice WW2 N-1 from Maverickson. He picked it up at an estate sale and generously passed it on to me. I wore one of these for years and loved it, until it was well past it's best then offered it up to the gods of ebay. I never thought I'd own another but thanks to Dave I've got a pretty much mint example. The only fault is that there is some fading across the shoulders. It must have been exposed to sunlight for quite a while. I reckon that it was issued but never worn. Well chuffed ! :D

P9185448583x800.jpg

The drawstrings were probably wound like this when it left the factory and have never been unwound. Grommets are perfect.

P9185447800x600.jpg

Knits and underarm vents are like new.

P9185445800x600.jpg

P9185443800x600.jpg

Brass Talon still has it's leather puller.

P9185446600x800.jpg

Inspectors stamp is still on the label.

P9185444800x600.jpg

P9185435600x800.jpg

TankBuster

Very nice! I have always liked the N-1 but for some reason never got one. Looks to be a pretty practical jacket.

Estancia

anyone with a size 42 to part with drop me a pm please!!!

still after the holy grail BLUE deck jacket too!

GoodTimesGone

That seems like a great opportunity for a repro maker. Why not make blue N-1s? I think Real McCoy's Japan or Buzz Rickson has made them (I don't have time to go through my Japanese catalogs at the moment) but I'm talking a company that would make it more affordable & easier to obtain.

Peter Graham

TankBuster said:
Estancia said:

The blue ones bring some serious cash!

I don't recall ever seeing one for sale. I wonder why they are so rare. Were they a very short production run ?

ButteMT61

That's awesome. As soon as I find an affordable one in my size, I'm grabbing it. So far, I have not. Nice acquisition.

watchmanjimg

Peter Graham said:
TankBuster said:
Estancia said:

I don't recall ever seeing one for sale. I wonder why they are so rare. Were they a very short production run ?

I'm not sure about the production run, but bear in mind that these jackets saw extensive use and many were likely worn to pieces. Organizational items such as these were recycled over and over . . .

Dr H

watchmanjimg said:
but bear in mind that these jackets saw extensive use and many were likely worn to pieces.

Especially in a water saturated, salty environment in strong sunlight - this plays havoc with cellulose/cotton.
We conducted some research on sailcloth from HMS Victory (to examine the degradation that its undergone since 1805) and exposed modern flax sailcloth produced using traditional methods to UV and brine; the polymer degrades and weakens significantly.

Estancia

Peter Graham said:
TankBuster said:
Estancia said:

Not sure how true this is... but I was told that the Blue deck jackets were only in production for a vey short while because of a number of friendly fire incidences that occurred. From a distance the dark blue deck jacket looked like German uniforms!

Never seen one sell for less than 1000 bucks on ebay.

I have come across a number of blue hook enclosure and zip up deck jackets... but never a blue N1 pattern.

anyone? :D

Maverickson

Hi Peter,

Your jacket cleaned up nice & looks great on you! Hope you enjoy it for years to come.

Cheers, Dave

bazelot

Fantastic jacket Peter! It looks like it is mint. I used to own a size 50 N-1 jacket. It was trashed though. Mint N-1 jackets are extremely hard to come. They are so practical that they were used a lot post war.

Peter Graham

Dr H said:
watchmanjimg said:
but bear in mind that these jackets saw extensive use and many were likely worn to pieces.

Especially in a water saturated, salty environment in strong sunlight - this plays havoc with cellulose/cotton.
We conducted some research on sailcloth from HMS Victory (to examine the degradation that its undergone since 1805) and exposed modern flax sailcloth produced using traditional methods to UV and brine; the polymer degrades and weakens significantly.
Ian, my previous N-1, which was named and presumably worn on a ship, showed a lot of rot around the aluminium drawstring grommets. The metal had reacted with the cloth and completely rotted it away around the grommets, the surrounding cloth around the rotted area being bleached white and very brittle.

Dr H

Peter Graham said:
Dr H said:
watchmanjimg said:

Ian, my previous N-1, which was named and presumably worn on a ship, showed a lot of rot around the aluminium drawstring grommets. The metal had reacted with the cloth and completely rotted it away around the grommets, the surrounding cloth around the rotted area being bleached white and very brittle.

That sounds interesting Peter. I recall some more modern experiments that were reported at sea in connection with the effects of galvanic corrosion on composites (on Sea Harriers, I think). When a composite component was placed in close proximity with an iron nail in a coke can (aluminium) filled with brine (salt water) galvanic corrosion took place - due to the difference in electrode potential/competition for electrons - leading to the breakdown of the polyimide polymer matrix (leading almost bare carbon fibres - a frightening thought on a marine composite aircraft). The polyimides are typically sensitive to hydrolysis/breakdown by alkali. I read that cellulose (the basis for the cotton) is sensitive to alkaline hydrolysis.