• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery G-1

blaze424

Picked up this old Navy flight jacket recently. Right size, but alas no maker's tag.

Seeking help to identify it properly.

No USN perf on the windflap and no USN painted on the back collar. Talon zip. Metal underarm grommets.

Pocket scalloping very pronounced. Pencil holder in the left pocket designed differently than the 7823 series -- thin strip only without the wide band.

Throat latch is cut very angular like the M422 series, unlike the more rounded 7823 series.

Has standard rib-rack weave waistband -- looks original.

Looks 1950s vintage or earlier, but am hoping one of you could help me nail it down further.

Snaps below. All help greatly appreciated. Very curious as to which manufacturer crafted this beauty --- Block, Monarch?

DSCI0028.jpg

DSCI0032.jpg

DSCI0029.jpg

DSCI0031.jpg

DSCI0030.jpg

Jason

Is there a WPL tag hiding inside a pocket or a dark corner somewhere? You can trace a maker via the WPL number...

tamoko

Looks like Willis & Geiger AN-6552.

But very strange "wrong attached" collar wind flap.This is wrong info i check my AN-6552.
Collar wind flap ok. Jacket same to my W&G AN-6552 but have darker lining and collar.
My W&G AN-6552 stamped on collar US. Collar fur "fox reddish" to blond, lining color close to orange.

Peter Graham

I agree. It looks like a W&G AN6552. The one I owned had US under the collar but it was practically invisible. Yours may have completly gone. Is the zipper original ? To the best of my knowledge only AN series jackets had blackened zippers. Is yours blackened ? It's hard to tell by the photo.

blaze424

Thanks all.

Zipper looks original - triple-marked talon. Zip is also blackened.

Peered closely at the back of the collar -- no "US" or "USN" painted, not even any flakes. What color would it have been?

On three related, but separate matters:

1) I have another G-1 without a label, but it does have a small size tag sewn into the top of the right pocket. I know that was not done by all manufacturers. Is such a size tag in the pocket linked to a specific manufacturer? I seem to recall a post that only Ralph Edwards did that, but I could not find that link.

2) When did they start adding the "USN" perforation to the windflap? Did that begin at the introduction of the 7823-series or earlier?

3) Lastly, seeking to replace a broken zip on a Size 46 Flying Equipment Co., Chicago 55J14. Does anyone have any NOS zips (preferably blackened) available for sale?

Thanks in advance.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
blaze424 said:
1) I have another G-1 without a label, but it does have a small size tag sewn into the top of the right pocket. I know that was not done by all manufacturers. Is such a size tag in the pocket linked to a specific manufacturer? I seem to recall a post that only Ralph Edwards did that, but I could not find that link.

John's CD shows an Irvin B. Foster 7823A with this feature.

2) When did they start adding the "USN" perforation to the windflap? Did that begin at the introduction of the 7823-series or earlier?

From the same source .... mid-way through the 7823 series.

Jaydee

Peter Graham said:
I agree. It looks like a W&G AN6552. The one I owned had US under the collar but it was practically invisible. Yours may have completly gone. Is the zipper original ? To the best of my knowledge only AN series jackets had blackened zippers. Is yours blackened ? It's hard to tell by the photo.

Some of the 60's jackets had the black zips too like my RE '63 C Wep G-1:
G-1fur-1.jpg

It's black, although a little hard to see before I cleaned the corrosion off.

Without the USN Punch and having the Bi-weave knits places your jacket in the early 60's or before. The Pocket shape almost looks like a Monarch Mfg but I can say for sure. I agree the collar stencil probably wore off. Or worse, was buffed off as some jackets I have seen. This Ralph Edwards also has the size tab in the right pocket. White with black numbers.
-Jay