• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My WWII body size is too small for today's BIG jackets...

PADDY_M

As a size 38 to 40 (& a smallish 5ft 8") I've been very lucky to find original vintage 1920s to 40s suits and jackets that fit GREAT. It was a common average size of that time.

BUT the stinger is that when I see beautiful second hand modern repros of flying jackets mostly from the USA they seem HUGE in size. From 46 upwards!! And it would be like wearing a tent for my mini size (by today's standards in the US).

It's a real shame but it seems that its a land of Giants when it comes to body sizes and the majority of lovely leather (& nylon) flight jackets...etc, are just massive & would generally drown me.

Originals from both sides of the Atlantic (from 30's to 50s is a different matter & suit my "wee" bod better with more being commonly my size ). How come my American cousins got so BIG after WWII...? As it's done me out of some fine hides!!!

"Start eating more green beans" Paddy (as my mum used to say).

Silver Surfer

we aint nothing compared to the dutch. now, those guys are big. there is a fair amount of wwll original flight gear in your size that shows up on militaria sites and greedbay. and, they are usually less expensive then the larger sizes. repro stuf is abundent in smaller sizes, and they too are less expensive then larger sizes. ya just gotta be like john and hunt first thing when ya get up. erin go brah

Rutger

The nylon repros on offer on ebay are often 36 to 40, especially when the seller is from Asia (well, Japan, Indonesia etc.). There are still a few who put hem up for sale for ludicrous prices though.