• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My version of time worn

Dr H

John Lever said:
Not quite the same but similar principles involved. Ten treatments of paint.

Wait John, 10 coats and you've missed a bit... ;)

It looks even better in the flesh (Edwardian Arts and Crafts Movement dresser, ca. 1905).
An artist at work...

foster

Here is my version of time worn. This was very difficult for me to manage, as the idea of abusing a garment is contrary to my upbringing.

To be honest, my own daughter chastised me for how I had been treating my jacket. :?

Atticus

For the last couple of years I've been building a "Man Cave-Party Deck" at my house. I've been trying to give it the vibe of a rural country store from the 1950's South, and I realized it needed a "time worn" screen door. Every old country store had screen doors, usually covered in advertising. There's just something about the way those old wooden doors look...and the way they sound when they slam...that screams "Old South". Anyhow, I discovered that real examples exist, but they ain't cheap. I found a few at antique shops...and on line...but most were too narrow for my door opening...and all were way too expensive. Like five to nine hundred dollars too expensive.

So I made one.

I bought a new, unfinished, wooden screen door at Lowes. I removed the screen and rebuilt the door to exactly fit my purpose. I applied a "time worn" finish by painting it and then crackling the paint using a system Valspar sells. Then I bought an original bread company door-pull from eBay...and a reproduction Moon Pie sign. Finally, I replaced the screen and ended up with something kinda close to a real country store screen door. At least I think so.

AF

For the last couple of years I've been building a "Man Cave-Party Deck" at my house.
Fantastic . . . as long as the Schlitz and Blatz signs are merely decorative and not what is actually on tap at the Man Cave.

Wonderful job on the door.

stubbyeighth

foster

Nice one, Atticus!

I remember walking through those doors. The distinct slam is something that reminds me quite well of going into the house my Great-Grandfather built. He built the house himself (he worked in the local lumber mill) and the choice of wood he used was never good about holding paint. But it was tough stuff. When we finally had to have the place bulldozed, one corner was lifted 6 feet (1.5 meters) in the air, only to flex all the way and settle back on the foundation as though nothing had happened. I think we had to pay extra for the destruction, as the house did not collapse as easily as they thought it would!

Atticus

stubbyeighth said:
Fantastic . . . as long as the Schlitz and Blatz signs are merely decorative and not what is actually on tap at the Man Cave.

Wonderful job on the door.

stubbyeighth

Thanks! Actually, yes, to the Schlitz. At least, today.

Everyone drinks out of the Man Cave's 1974 Harvest Gold refrigerator. Family, party guests, neighbors...sometimes even people just boating by on the river. Its like the old farm pond where all the animals go to quench their thirst. So it stays stocked with whatever I can find on sale at the Piggly Wiggly or Food Lion or where ever. It has, shall we say, a revolving inventory. No telling what one may find in the Man Cave on any given day.

AF