• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Recent Creations

dmar836

Have been on a jeans kick recently. I studied various USN dungarees, CCC/M35 jeans, and prewar US work trousers but I'm not done. Drafting a pattern is a headache. Then there are always things you wish to refine so each is an ongoing project. I also have many other projects going.
I have quite a few rolls of denim saved up - mostly from Pacific Blue but I also pick it up from upholstery shops/etc. if I like the feel.
Here are a few things I've done recently:

Late war '43/'44 dungarees. Fairly light 9oz denim(close to spec) but it's as if there is some stretch to the material and I don't like that. I think the pattern is pretty spot on. Very comfortable but with the 22" circumference legs they are not really too stylish. Belt loops are spec width but not what you typically see.
FullSizeRender-2.jpg
FullSizeRender-3.jpg

1918-ish 9oz.duck US Army work trousers(my interpretation). A lot of talk about brown denim but there are few examples to study. Duck was popular and easy to source. No cinch on the back of these. This is a precursor to a CCC pattern I want to do and needs refinement and more rise. Already have paint on them(house redo) and they have shrunken too short.
FullSizeRender-1.jpg
IMG_3647.JPG

IMG_3648.JPG

I made this pattern from some Lucky jeans I ruined in a moto accident years ago. I loved the fit so always kept them. This 11oz.ish denim was supposed to be standard indigo but was not blue with white weft but rather blue with blue weft so the back side is solid navy blue(note the cuffs). They are much darker in person. Used olive thread. I have a little over a year on(in) them. Had 70 yo pillow ticking pocket flaps and a tan vintage zip but those didn't last so have been replaced.
IMG_4539.JPG

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

This kinda shows how dark they are.
IMG_4541-1.JPG

Last edited:

B-Man2

I'm always amazed at the skills and talent of the members in this forum. A very impressive bunch for sure. Those jeans look great! Nice work.

dmar836

My loose interpretation of the USN shawl-collared jumper. Started pattern with a USMC jumper so its a little "roomy". There is a standard way to make shawl collars - I need to try it again and do it "their" way.

IMG_3186.JPG

Hand sewn buttonholes and clothes stop holes. Buttons from Mash, Japan.

FullSizeRender-4.jpg

This Dungaree chambray shirt was a modification of a 1944 civi shirt pattern. Buttons from Mash, Japan. I rather like the way it turned out so I wear it quite a bit.

IMG_3986.JPG

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    838.6 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_3986.JPG
    IMG_3986.JPG
    337.8 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:

Skip

Hi Dmar, like the army trousers, Would you believe Im not usually a brown trouser man but something about that colour grabs me, sort of suits the look of them? and the jeans are cool.

dmar836

Yeah, sort of a Carhartt-ish color. These are just "different" enough that my friends know when I've made something but not different enough to be cool.
I have the idea to reproduce one of Glenn Fords corduroy (sort of Levi Type 2) jacket. Also a denim one with front pleats and D pockets.

Dave

Smithy

You're a talented fellow Dave. I'm always amazed by people who can do this sort of thing as I wouldn't even know where to start. And I'm with Matt those duck trousers are especially nice.

Cobblers161

Impressive skills there Dave, great work!

If you ever go into production put me down for one of those Shawl Collars in HBT/Olive ;-)

johnwayne

Can only echo other comments, well done that man, sounds like we might have another JC or DD in our midst but in a different arena?

Tommy

These are amazing, especially the shirt!

If you were to produce these on a bigger scale, you might have a fair few customers on here?

Cocker

I must say I'd be interested in the shawl collar jumper and the shirt too, they look amazing. And the duck trousers too...

dmar836

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, with the time it takes, it's difficult to compete with ATF, etc. How they can make a chambray shirt for $59 I don't know. I have half that in fabric and buttons. Someone has a cheap jumper as well.
I'll still stick with mine!;)

Silver Surfer

the atf navy chambray shirt is crapola. it is real light weight, the buttons fall of in an instant and the sizing is goofy. made in the peoples republic of whoknowswhere. thats why its 59 bucks. and, imho, not worth half that. the one to beat is the buzz navy chambray shirt.

dmar836

Well, trust me, that BR shirt for $100 is a steal. $28+US to ship is a bit steep but that price tag is very reasonable IMO.
Dave