• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MY NEW MCCOYS M-1941 KNIT CAP WITH MY EASTMAN D1

Chandler

Okay -- just watched a few scenes from "Battleground," probably my favorite period movie of WW2 (yeah I know it was made after the war, but it was so close), and the one thing that stood out about the "Jeep cap" that's so different from the McCoy's in the original post is that the McCoy's is too big. That thing needs to be boiled to shrink and fit right!

dmar836

I was going to say something about the cap but didn't want to nitpick. I'm sure they patterned this from an original but the bill appears a bit large or the overall cap is too big IMO. Then again, we have to remember, like the change in trousers, caps were worn differently then. They just would likely have reached for a smaller size.
I'm sure several of us could post originals if needed.
Dave

watchmanjimg

I agree with Dave and Chandler that the cap looks too large overall to capture the original look. As I understand it this type of cap was intended to be worn under the steel helmet (legend has it that General Patton punished troops under his command who were caught wearing it without the helmet), and while the helmet sweatband was adjustable such an arrangement required a close fit. That said, I think the outfit looks great and I'm sure you'll enjoy it during the cooler months.

Chandler

watchmanjimg said:
(legend has it that General Patton punished troops under his command who were caught wearing it without the helmet)

1000_mile_detour.jpg

"Radio the ol' man we'll be late on account of a 1000 mile detour."

I don't thing they'd be fined for wearing the Jeep cap so much as not wearing the helmet!

mindful

i too agree about the size i have a small head and it should be smaller, buzz rickson and McCoys don't sell small sizes this ones is a medium, hopefully when i wash it it will shrink i remember telly savals wore one in a war movie he was wearing a tank jacket Jeep hat cant remember the movie but it is a classic ;)

watchmanjimg

mindful said:
i too agree about the size i have a small head and it should be smaller, buzz rickson and McCoys don't sell small sizes this ones is a medium, hopefully when i wash it it will shrink i remember telly savals wore one in a war movie he was wearing a tank jacket Jeep hat cant remember the movie but it is a classic ;)

Battle of the Bulge?

mindful

watchmanjimg said:
mindful said:

Battle of the Bulge?

my favourite wwll movie

mindful

Chandler said:
Okay -- just watched a few scenes from "Battleground," probably my favorite period movie of WW2 (yeah I know it was made after the war, but it was so close), and the one thing that stood out about the "Jeep cap" that's so different from the McCoy's in the original post is that the McCoy's is too big. That thing needs to be boiled to shrink and fit right!
do you think boiling the cap will be safe and not shrink to much :?:

dmar836

I haven't gone in to look at my original but I think the bill is cardboard. I would be hesitant to get it fully wet.
JMO,
Dave

jack31916

Dave is right.

The bill may be made out of cardbox like material as per original.

I've washed my original 'beanie' accidently in the laundrymachine and the bill turned out like a big lump :(

Can be reshaped though, but better safe than sorry.

Good luck

Chandler

mindful said:
do you think boiling the cap will be safe and not shrink to much :?:

Yeah -- I was pretty much kidding about boiling it, probably ruin it, and I didn't realize the inner bill was cardboard -- some of the other caps of the era had the same construction.

Chandler

FYI -- World War 2 impressions' Jeep cap is made with leather inside the bill:

These are made out of wool yarn knitted and constructed identical to the WWII original. These legendary caps authentically come in different sizes, not one size fits all. For the brim we even use authentic full grain leather cut to the same shape as the originals.

mindful

i wasnt going to take the blunge boild the hat but have noticed you roll up the back of the hat which looks better