• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new GW 27752

A

Anonymous

jacketimp said:
khiattP-51 said:
I have a huge thing for Rough Wears. It's been said before, some like them, some don't. I like everything I see in this copy. My last ELC version I purchased back in 2005 is actually pretty darned good. Especially in terms of the color, leather, fit and look when worn. It's Rough Wear. But, the GW version looks like an amped up model which gets all the small OCD details that combined really makes it a true copy.

This one goes to 11...."It's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here...where can you go from there? Where?.......11."

-Kevin

sure, like.............110%
WHAT???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Chandler

khiattP-51 said:
This one goes to 11...."It's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here...where can you go from there? Where?.......11."

But, why can't you just make 10 louder?

(you do realize the point of ludicrousness they were trying to make in that scene, don't you?)

Chandler

Chandler

"If we made 10 louder, it wouldn't be 11, would it?" and the OCD admission just didn't mix well. ;)

Chandler

Lignemaginot

Chandler said:
"If we made 10 louder, it wouldn't be 11, would it?" and the OCD admission just didn't mix well. ;)

Chandler

Marty DiBergi: (To Derek Smalls) So you feel like a preserved moose on stage?

Lignemaginot

Just received today the GW United Sheeplined A-2 repro that I purchased from Jeff.

I can safely steer clear of comparisons with other repro makers because - although I've owned one or two - I never made much of an attempt to compare them to originals. I've owned my fair share of (usually size 46) originals which I didn't mind wearing, unless it was raining or whatever, in which case I'd throw on a repro. If anything ever stood out in my mind about the repros, it's that they always seemed heavier than originals, and also seemed to be well-made jackets (as opposed to originals which, while good jackets, never seemed bothererd by wavy stitching or other "errors"). But again, I haven't inspected any new generation of repros from other companies, so I can only make the following comment on this particular GW A-2.

I have to say that I am stunned at this "replica" of an A-2 jacket. It's unfortunately a bit tight on my shoulders, but that aside, I wouldn't be surprised to see jackets like this - with a bit of use - showing up as originals in a few years. Is there anywhere on it that says that it's made by Goodwear, so that we'll be able to spot the difference?

khiattP-51

rotenhahn said:
KhiatP51:
I have a huge thing for Rough Wears

Same here- in fact my search for the perfect repro has really been a search for the perfect Roughwear. I agree that in 2005 the Eastman 1401p was as close as you could get but the calibration has now been set that much higher. The Roughwear is to me the most mysterious and beautiful of all the A-2s- sometimes seemingly so mundane (not that noticeable in some group photos) but with the coolest folds and curves (as in the head shot photos a lot of servicemen had taken):
hurley1943.jpg

Absolutely! I think I made a post on the last version of the forum that if I took all my A-2s and laid them down flat on the floor, the Rough Wear always has about the coolest look of any maker. I bet most guys would think the same - regardless of how some fit the modern physique! I also love the darker brown leather found on many 27752s. It's my favorite of the average "seal" brown.

I've been through more repro Rough Wears than I care to admit - both from ELC and RMNZ. Looks like I will be replacing the current crop with a single Goodwear.

The only other maker which fascinates me as much is the Bronco. I find their design very appealing too. I am currently awaiting my first Goodwear Bronc. So, my quest for that perfect repro should be over shortly.

-Kevin

Andrew

Lignemaginot said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see jackets like this - with a bit of use - showing up as originals in a few years. Is there anywhere on it that says that it's made by Goodwear, so that we'll be able to spot the difference?

I totally agree Clive, it's already being done with other brands, but I imagine a forger could always snip out a tiny label from inside a pocket.

Have you had any thought on this John? Perhaps embed some DNA somewhere in the lining....
:)

A

Anonymous

Kevin:
Absolutely! I think I made a post on the last version of the forum that if I took all my A-2s and laid them down flat on the floor, the Rough Wear always has about the coolest look of any maker. I bet most guys would think the same - regardless of how some fit the modern physique! I also love the darker brown leather found on many 27752s. It's my favorite of the average "seal" brown.

I've been through more repro Rough Wears than I care to admit - both from ELC and RMNZ. Looks like I will be replacing the current crop with a single Goodwear.

The only other maker which fascinates me as much is the Bronco. I find their design very appealing too. I am currently awaiting my first Goodwear Bronc. So, my quest for that perfect repro should be over shortly.

-Kevin
The Broncos and United Sheeplineds are cut more like a suit coat and for me the fit is more constricting- there is less shoulder slope and the sleeve holes are more tubular. I've settled on the Roughwear because it fits my old guy body more comfortably because of its shape yet it still looks so cool when worn IMO. I've had 4 Eastman 1401ps, 3 RMNZ RWs and a Buzz Rickson but IMO no comes close as the Goodwear. Collar, pockets, flaps and shape all captured.

airfrogusmc

I know my GW Dubow is about as good as it gets and I agree about some repros being to heavy as compared to most originals. Some have said (without seeing it in person) my GW Dubow is to light weight. I can assure you I have seen an original 27798 thats almost exactly the same weight and the original has even more grain.