My new ELC monarch

Discussion in 'Repros' started by jeremiah, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

packing repros? squish them together into a wad and chuck em into a box of .....whatever. creases? yeah, plenty. dont worry, as most will work their way out. i have a buddy who wads his new repros into a ball and sits on them when doing sit down construction. if they get in his way, he just kicks them across the floor. ask no mercy, grant no mercy.

2. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Well-Known Member

Well I would hate to buy a used jacket from that guy. Especially if he eats a lot of beans! :eek: :D

The best way to pack them would be just like they were shipped. Fold them like a long sleeve shirt and put them in a box that has room inside so they are not pressed together and form hard creases.

Regards,
    Jay

3. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Jerimiah
    I know I must sound like a broken record that keeps playing the same song over and over again, but here it goes. For transporting your jackets for your move....................Wrap them in a tight ball and throw them in the corner of your moving box. Put other clothes on top of them and let them alone. Don’t worry about creases. Your jackets will continue to look great whenever you decide to wear them..........With all do respect to Jay if you need more assurance simply check Ken from Aeros thread “17 years of hard wear “
    And look at the photos of his jacket...........

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  4. jeremiah

jeremiah Active Member

Ok that’s great. Thanks guys for the tips.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Jeremiah, your A-2 looks like WW2 ...no more difference to me...
    Great jacket, nice fit....

jeremiah likes this.
  6. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

My Irvin got stuffed at the bottom of a box when moving country. It then lived in the bottom of that box for 16 months in transit and then in storage. When I unearthed it, it looked like hell, a crinkled, creased mess. After about a week of lying on the floor and a bit of wearing it looked a thousand times better than before it went travelling.

I wouldn't do that with something like CXL FQHH but with my Irvin stuffing it in a box any old how actually worked a treat.

Pilot likes this.
  7. jeremiah

jeremiah Active Member

Sounds good. I will pack with no worries then. Thanks guys. looks like I will be moving to Mississippi.

Pilot likes this.
  8. Wright Field

Wright Field Member

I’ve been breaking in my new ELC Weber by doing exactly what they say here: wadding it into a ball, sitting in it, piling things in it, etc. It came stiff as a board and is just now softening up from the process.

Pilot likes this.
  9. jeremiah

jeremiah Active Member

Yeah great.

10. jeremiah

jeremiah Active Member

Pretty interesting. I was having a look at John’s version of the monarch. Then looking at vintage monarchs. Man did Eastman get the collar button placements wrong. The vintage ones match Johns. Wonder why they did that? Anyone else notice this?

The HP site has some good comparison pics and you can even see the original has the button more centered on the collar end where as the repro , like mine, has it offset more towards one end.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Pilot likes this.
  11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Right, never noticed that before, but you are right.

12. Brettafett

Brettafett Active Member

Perhaps the jacket ELC used to copy the pattern has the collar buttons placed that way... WW2 jackets, even within the same contract, did vary I believe... Would be interesting to ask Gary at ELC.

13. jeremiah

jeremiah Active Member

Maybe but the comparison pics they have on the HP site show them next to each other and the vintage one has centered buttons.

I still like mine though.

14. herk115

herk115 Member

My thinking exactly. I've reached the age where it's become apparent that I'm not going to get smaller again, and most likely get bigger. I buy all my jackets one or two sizes large. Amazing how they all seem to fit after only a couple of years.

15. jeremiah

jeremiah Active Member

AE4DA338-1D48-4D00-9833-966576639BD4.jpeg Funny thing is this thing fits me like a charm now. I don’t think I could layer much more in it.
    Tried taking a pic today to show color difference with gavs. It’s only slight darker in this pic.
    Love to see a pic of your second hand ELC herk.

gav likes this.
  16. gav

gav Member

beauty!

jeremiah likes this.
  17. herk115

herk115 Member

You will, when I get down to Nellis AFB next week. Have my pic taken in front of the sign.