• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MY LATEST BRONCO AC 29191-SIZE 44

Roughwear

I have owned two original Broncos in the past from this 1942 contract. One was made from goatskin and was suffering from terminal rot and was quickly passed on. The second, which I bought at the end of 2010 was labelled a 44 but fitted like a 42 and has been reprayed in a USAAF depot making the leather stiff in places. Now this hh Bronco has not been resprayed and the leather is thick and supple with areas of pronounced grain. The jacket is all original apart from the wristlets which appear to be matching theatre replacements. The Crown zip retains its spring and works extremely well. I have repaired the lining at the neck and mended several moth nips.

002-6.jpg

004-6.jpg

006-7.jpg

028.jpg

029-2.jpg

030.jpg

031-2.jpg

033-2.jpg

034-1.jpg

034-1.jpg

032-2.jpg

020-4.jpg

019-4.jpg

015-6.jpg

012-5.jpg

021-2.jpg

024-3.jpg

025-3.jpg

023-4.jpg

026-3.jpg

Roughwear

As I can no longer edit the post I can't remove one of the duplicate images of the epaulet. Here's the correct picture.

035.jpg

Roughwear

The hanger is box stitched. More often the hanger is bar-tacked stiched in place. I'm not sure which method was used on the earliest 29191 contracts.

saucerfiend

Roughwear said:
Thanks Brian. Have you noticed the mis-aligned collar snaps?

Andrew,
Funny... no I didn't. I was more interested in the overall condition, as I know you'd been having trouble locating a nice one. I'm sure the mis-aligned snaps are a small matter and as another member noted, it just adds to the character of this great wartime treasure. Enjoy it!

Brian

767fo

Roughwear said:
The hanger is box stitched. More often the hanger is bar-tacked stiched in place. I'm not sure which method was used on the earliest 29191 contracts.

John box stitched my Bronco's hanger. Like you he said the norm was the bar-tacked stitch but he had seen the box stitch on a few originals and thought it would be a nice touch. I agreed :D

DJS48

The Bronco original I have, the hanger is boxed stitched and has a smaller sized a/n stamp. I bought this jacket from Marc W. many years ago and there is a photo of the smaller an stamp on "Acme Depot". This jacket was also "featured" last summer receiving treatment from Pecards, which IMO, give new "life" to the leather. Also, the sleeves of my jacket do not have ANY taper and appear wider as compared to Andrew's photos seem to show. I believe this supports the opinion discussed before of the variations within contracts and etc.

Cheers,
Don

EmergencyIan

A beautiful find, Andrew! It looks like you're more than happy to have it in your collection.

Does the upper back/back shoulder area need to be conditioned ot help preserve the jacket? Or, maybe I'm seeing a potential issue in the photographs that doesn't exist.

- Ian

CBI

excellent Andrew! Really nice. You must be getting all of these directly from other collectors...........

Roughwear

EmergencyIan said:
A beautiful find, Andrew! It looks like you're more than happy to have it in your collection.

Does the upper back/back shoulder area need to be conditioned ot help preserve the jacket? Or, maybe I'm seeing a potential issue in the photographs that doesn't exist.

- Ian

Ian, the hh is strong and robust throughout the jacket and the jacket has been conditioned with Pecards. The back is fine with no flaking, just a little honest wear!

Beautiful jacket. It's wild how different the color appears based on the lighting. This looks like 3 separate jackets to me depending on the photo.

dmar836

Andrew. Super jacket!
I think the reason you are able to occasionally wear your examples is the supple condition you demand. Maybe newer members need to be aware of this and that this feature typically comes at a considerable cost over the average jacket.
Excellent find and I'm glad you are able to preserve these high end originals. They and your knowledge are excellent references for the rest of us!
Dave

Roughwear

Thanks for your positive comments Dave. I always try to buy original A2s that can be worn occasionally and upgrading examples is the way to go. But it takes considerable time to acquire really decent examples these days. I would not recommend wearing original A2s on a daily basis for obvious reasons.