• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Issued Jackets Over The Years

I am getting ready to retire and I thought I would post some pics of jackets I've been issued over the years before I boxed them up for my move in a couple of months.

This is the Gortex jacket and pants I was issued in 2010. It is great for pre-flight on cold wet days. It's not great for in the cockpit, it doesn't breath very well. The Aircrewmen in the back of the helicopter love it, especially when we fly with the doors open.

This is a fleece vest, we call it the "sweater vest."

This is the fleece jacket, it is not much to look at, but it is warm and comfortable. It has a zipper under the sleeves. I never quite figured out what they are for since I've never used them.

I have always preferred my G-1 over all of the jackets I have been issued. The second would be the Nomex, the old shiny one, not the new canvas looking one.

Excellent to see. But not Vintage Leather Jackets.
You are correct, however these forums cover more than just vintage leather flight jackets. They will be "vintage" someday and I put them under the "General Flight Jacket Discussion" instead of the "Nylon" or "Cloth" since they are not Nylon and the Gortex really isn't cloth.

Smithy

Many thanks for posting Treetopflyer and congrats on the upcoming retirement. Hope the change will not be too jarring for you mate.

Rutger

Interesting, I thought the Goretex system (isn't it officially called something like the Multiple Layer Blahblah System) was never government issue?
Are the pants supposed to be hooked up to the jacket?
All I ever see are Air Force with the nomex coveralls and the CWU 36 or CWu45 jackets. They don't beat the MA-1 and L-2B, but they still look cooler than the Goretex.
But then, getting cold and wet quickly cures being fashionable ;).

Smithy

the CWU 36 or CWu45 jackets. They don't beat the MA-1 and L-2B, but they still look cooler than the Goretex.

I have a sneaking suspicion that probably aircrew like the modern Nomex jackets better because the don't melt and stick to the skin like the old nylon jobs do. The old ones look great but if there was fire they could create horrifying injuries.

Interesting, I thought the Goretex system (isn't it officially called something like the Multiple Layer Blahblah System) was never government issue?
Are the pants supposed to be hooked up to the jacket?
All I ever see are Air Force with the nomex coveralls and the CWU 36 or CWu45 jackets. They don't beat the MA-1 and L-2B, but they still look cooler than the Goretex.
But then, getting cold and wet quickly cures being fashionable ;).

The pants have suspenders and are separate from the jacket. I have never worn the pants in the aircraft, a few times while shoveling snow in my driveway though. :)

I am a Helicopter guy, that is why my UN is Treetopflyer, that and I am fan of the song.

MikeyB-17

I think it's really interesting to see what real pilots are wearing. Gore-tex has been around a long time, and I've had a few Gore-tex jackets which I've paid a lot of money for, and they're great at keeping out the rain, but I don't think the breathability is all it's cracked up to be. We (South western ambulance service) were once issued Gore-tex liners for our wet weather jackets-which are crap-and they're quite highly prized now (I've got one!)-but for their waterproof properties, not their breathability.
I like the look of the fleece, we were once issued proper Polartec fleeces, but that soon went out the window, and they replaced them with horrible things made of fuzzy felt, which most people wore because that's all there was.
In terms of practicality, I love the CWU-45P. I've owned several, mostly early bi-swing versions, but these days I much prefer my slightly later, 1984 non-bi-swing. The Nomex is softer and more comfortable, and the cuffs are longer. Mine is my go-to wear-on-the-way-to-work beater jacket. I gave up on MA-1's and the like years ago, with my haircut I look far too much like a skinhead!

A very interesting post but as they are not about vintage leather jackets, "Life beyond the internet" might be a better place to post about them.

Please enlighten me as to why this could not be placed in the “General Flight Jacket Discussion” forum. I understand that these items are not leather jackets, but neither are topics discussed and pictured in “Related Gear”, “Jacket Art / Patches - Original and Reproduction”, “Cloth” or “Nylon.” Is it simply because they are not vintage? I thought members of this forum would appreciate gear such as this.

CBI

Yes, I liked your post. Good to remember be reminded the functional direction flight clothing is going in. More and more fixed wing guys/gals are being issued fleece tops and bottoms. Flight jackets as we know them are on their way out completely. Going to be all fleece eventually. I would have put this in the same section and I was surprised at the attitude/mean spirited comments. Why even go there guys?

Roughwear

Please enlighten me as to why this could not be placed in the “General Flight Jacket Discussion” forum. I understand that these items are not leather jackets, but neither are topics discussed and pictured in “Related Gear”, “Jacket Art / Patches - Original and Reproduction”, “Cloth” or “Nylon.” Is it simply because they are not vintage? I thought members of this forum would appreciate gear such as this.

Firstly they are not vintage jackets and the General Flight Jacket section is for any general questions about flight jackets / motorcycle jackets / civilian jackets - both vintage and new - but you may find more detailed answers in their appropriate sections. Life beyond the internet is far more appropriate. Here, anything goes except POLITICS - discuss what your other interests are, what you do for a living, where you live, etc. Have fun!

Roughwear

Yes, I liked your post. Good to remember be reminded the functional direction flight clothing is going in. More and more fixed wing guys/gals are being issued fleece tops and bottoms. Flight jackets as we know them are on their way out completely. Going to be all fleece eventually. I would have put this in the same section and I was surprised at the attitude/mean spirited comments. Why even go there guys?

Come on chaps lighten up! It is not mean spirited at all. I find the original post interesting. However the post is just in the wrong category. No big deal.:)

Steve27752

Okay, my original post was not very constructive and for that I appologise. As someone who retired from full time employment four years ago, I am pleased about your upcoming retirement and I am interested in your issued kit.
But, I would also like to see pics of your G1.
Plus any other pics from your time in the military.