• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My G-1 Some Help please....

Hi, My name is Paul, Im a newbie here from Australia. Im a hot rodder and Bike builder thats right into the 40's scene. My current daily driver is an old skool 1946 Pontiac sedan, A very old skool Harley Softail Bobber, a 1950 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Gasser Plus a few Aussie Classics and most of a 1930 Model A just to name a few. Id also say i have a Jacket fetish! Ive had a look around the site and there is some fantastic jackets on here!!
Can someone help me with my G-1?
Just bought it on good old ebay for $20us and im pretty stoked with it. Its well used and knocked about which suits my style. Looks to be genuine with the tag and its Scovill zip etc. It also looks to have had a name tag or a patch above the LH pocket at sometime.

Firstly can someone identify the exact year? I do know that its a Martin Lane which was late 60's. Also where can I get replacement cuffs and waste band?

Got some other vintage stuff which ill post up sometime soon.

Cheers

Paul

05062010530.jpg

05062010531.jpg

05062010529.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Hello Paul,

There's a few threads missing from the label ...

DSA100-69-C-1545, so that's fiscal year 1969. Someone will be along shortly to help you with the knits.

Curahee

No it's the 1969 contract, it has the artificial Dynel mouton collar and I have the same jacket also "Full Gear" lists it as fiscal year '69

Roughwear said:
This Matin Lane jacket is their 1968 contract. There is a nice example on Ebay and the label is 100% readable on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VInTAGE-60S-G-1-JAC ... 41501abc06

As David says Mash Japan is the place to buy new knits. You can buy them more cheaply through Vintage Productions in the USA. Here's the link:

http://www.vintageproductions.com/shop/ ... ory_id=103

Just thought id post a pic of the jacket now after ive fitted some new cuffs and waist band, Aired it out and spent some time cleaning it up. Im pretty happy with the result. A good every day wearer. :D

Image0043.jpg

wvarnam

oldskoolonly said:
Just thought id post a pic of the jacket now after ive fitted some new cuffs and waist band, Aired it out and spent some time cleaning it up. Im pretty happy with the result. A good every day wearer. :D

Image0043.jpg

Hey Paul,

That jacket looks superb now you've cleaned it up and replaced the cuffs and waist. My I ask a few questions in relation to the restore? I've just picked up an M-422A that is in very rough shape and I've decided to attempt to restore it.

- Did you get the waistband and cuffs from MASH?
- How did you sew them onto the jacket? (professional tailor?)
- What process/products did you use to clean the jacket?

Many thanks,

Will

wvarnam said:
oldskoolonly said:

Image0043.jpg

Hey Paul,

That jacket looks superb now you've cleaned it up and replaced the cuffs and waist. My I ask a few questions in relation to the restore? I've just picked up an M-422A that is in very rough shape and I've decided to attempt to restore it.

Many thanks,

Will

Hey Will, Thanks!!

Im no expert on restoring jackets at all, Im a Mechanic that builds and restores cars and builds Hotrods and Bikes. But saying that Ill give anything a crack!
After waiting 2 weeks for the local Taylor to do the repairs on the jacket, he gave it back to me and said he couldnt do it cause his machine would not stitch through the leather???
After reading on this forum the thread on replacing cuffs, I figured I could give it a crack. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6207

I got the cuffs and band on the good old ebay, unpicked the old ones and used the Mrs sewing machine. No problems at all sewing through the leather!!

As far as cleaning it, its most likley very unorthodox but I used a warm damp cloth with dish washing liquid to clean the surface of the leather and the lining and the dish washing liquid with water to clean the collar. Let it air on the cloths line for a few days. Applied some dubbin and the result was fantastic. Im sure there are those here that could give you a more orthodox method to go about it but dont be scared to have a crack! ;)

wvarnam

oldskoolonly said:
wvarnam said:
oldskoolonly said:

Image0043.jpg

Hey Paul,

Many thanks,

Will

Hey Will, Thanks!!

Im no expert on restoring jackets at all, Im a Mechanic that builds and restores cars and builds Hotrods and Bikes. But saying that Ill give anything a crack!
After waiting 2 weeks for the local Taylor to do the repairs on the jacket, he gave it back to me and said he couldnt do it cause his machine would not stitch through the leather???
After reading on this forum the thread on replacing cuffs, I figured I could give it a crack. http://vintageleatherjackets.org/viewto ... =15&t=6207

I got the cuffs and band on the good old ebay, unpicked the old ones and used the Mrs sewing machine. No problems at all sewing through the leather!!

As far as cleaning it, its most likley very unorthodox but I used a warm damp cloth with dish washing liquid to clean the surface of the leather and the lining and the dish washing liquid with water to clean the collar. Let it air on the cloths line for a few days. Applied some dubbin and the result was fantastic. Im sure there are those here that could give you a more orthodox method to go about it but dont be scared to have a crack! ;)

Fantastic Paul, looks like you did a grand job. You've given me the confidence to try it myself! If I'm brave enough, I might even hand sew the cuffs... ;)

Thanks again.

Will

Jason

oldskoolonly said:

Great job Paul, you're braver with the sewing machine than most of us here!
Your cleaning method isn't so different from my own use of Sard woder soap in warm water and using a coarse face cloth to wipe down the jacket - even using a soft scrubbing brush if necessary. But after stripping the oils from the leather using a detergent, it is definitely a good idea to replenish these oils somehow. I use a very light coat of Pecards leather dressing... not easy to get in Australia.

As you browse through the topics, you'll find that this is a hotly debated topic... some saying that Pecards is the root of all evil, others saying its effects are amazing, when used properly.

But what can't be denied is the fantastic job you've done there to restore an old well worn jacket into something that can be proudly worn again.

wvarnam

Jason said:
oldskoolonly said:

Great job Paul, you're braver with the sewing machine than most of us here!
Your cleaning method isn't so different from my own use of Sard woder soap in warm water and using a coarse face cloth to wipe down the jacket - even using a soft scrubbing brush if necessary. But after stripping the oils from the leather using a detergent, it is definitely a good idea to replenish these oils somehow. I use a very light coat of Pecards leather dressing... not easy to get in Australia.

As you browse through the topics, you'll find that this is a hotly debated topic... some saying that Pecards is the root of all evil, others saying its effects are amazing, when used properly.

But what can't be denied is the fantastic job you've done there to restore an old well worn jacket into something that can be proudly worn again.

I am currently in the pre-restoration stage and looking to re-vitalise the leather on a 422-A I've recently bought. It's in very rough shape and didn't cost must, so I thought I'd have a go. It seems Pecards or Connoly's are the recommended medicines...Although I'm wondering whether anyone here has used Eastman's care kit on an original jacket?

Again, stellar job Paul :)

269sqnhudson

Curahee said:
No it's the 1969 contract, it has the artificial Dynel mouton collar and I have the same jacket also "Full Gear" lists it as fiscal year '69

Roughwear said:
This Matin Lane jacket is their 1968 contract. There is a nice example on Ebay and the label is 100% readable on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VInTAGE-60S-G-1-JAC ... 41501abc06

As David says Mash Japan is the place to buy new knits. You can buy them more cheaply through Vintage Productions in the USA. Here's the link:

http://www.vintageproductions.com/shop/ ... ory_id=103

:p Pedant Alert :p Although conversely with a contract number as low as - 1545 it could be late 68 after all. Fiscal year 1969 would be July 68 - June 69 wouldn't it?

It's a bit like the DSA 100-68-C-0128 helmet liners with a date of 27th July 1967