My first vintage jacket.

Discussion in 'Vintage' started by s4rmark, Mar 9, 2018.

1. s4rmark

s4rmark Active Member

I recently purchased this jacket from Ebay and it arrived today . It’s an Irvin B foster G-1 7823c and considering its age, I think it’s in remarkable condition . Yes, it has a moth nip in one of the cuffs and a small hole in the lining but these small imperfections apart I’m very happy with it , considering the price. Pictures to follow tomorrow,.

Kennyz and oose like this.
  2. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

lookon forward to the pics

3. Steve27752

Steve27752 Well-Known Member

Pictures.

4. MikeyB-17

MikeyB-17 Well-Known Member

I had a C series, one of my favourites of the several G-1’s I had over the years. The Irvin B. C’s have an extra seam on the edge of the bi-swing that you don’t get on other G-1’s- the back panel is separate from the pleats, normally the edges of the back panel are folded to make the gussets but not on these. I saw it mentioned on one of the old forums many years ago, it fascinated me, and I was really pleased when I took a chance on a badly photographed G-1 for £80 on Ebay and it turned out to be An Irvin B. C. Sold it eventually as you do. Enjoy, and we need pics!

oose likes this.
  5. s4rmark

s4rmark Active Member

0A7ED307-33E9-4E00-B028-2A30122D7F36.jpeg A978F219-E16E-4E3D-89A1-AB81099AB56E.jpeg 0540FAEA-298F-4097-9D38-89CDA33768DF.jpeg As promised, here are a few pics of the jacket.

Attached Files:

Pilot, Kennyz, oose and 2 others like this.
  6. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

Very nice. According to Full Gear this contract dates to 1965.

7. s4rmark

s4rmark Active Member

Thanks Andrew, I was wondering which year it was made . According to Wikipedia the C models started in 1962. That’s the only reference I could find.

8. oose

oose Active Member

Lovely Jacket, perfect condition I'm sure it will give you much joy. The first C models were produced around 1964 as the last B model contracts were awarded in 1963.

9. Dover

Dover Member

Congratulations on a beautiful jacket and in such great condition. Enjoy!

10. s4rmark

s4rmark Active Member

CD3E838B-19DF-46B2-B1EB-88A64DA24D00.jpeg 4804001B-5953-4925-8EBB-517B0309AECD.jpeg F72BF0E8-B939-4EDC-8E58-01C8C5F89DD0.jpeg A few more pics.

Brent and oose like this.
  11. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

Well done s4mark! Good condition C's are getting rare these days. So many people think they have a C when in fact it's a D with part of the letter D worn away on the spec label.

12. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Super stunning jacket, looks brand new

13. s4rmark

s4rmark Active Member

Thanks for all th the positive comments, overall the jacket is in remarkable condition for its age. Only 1 small moth hole on the cuff , a very small repair on the hem and a very small hole on the lining near the left armpit that looks like a cigarette burn. I think the jacket hasn’t had much use and looks to have been stored away for some time after being stuffed in some sort of bag , judging by the wrinkles and creases . I may now try to search out a 1950’s contact G-1.

Roughwear likes this.
  14. Marv

Marv Well-Known Member

Super looking G1, excellent condition and a great fit.

I have a mint mid 1950s L W Foster Sportswear G1 (with the blackend 5# Conmar zipper) and its a fantastic jacket, most of the ones I have seen are usually in great condition.

15. s4rmark

s4rmark Active Member

Can you put some pictures on Paul? It would be great to see it.

16. Ken at Aero Leather

Ken at Aero Leather Well-Known Member

Your jacket has been baled in a "rag yard". probably in the early 1970s when there was little interest in vintage leather but the Rag Yard owners didn't like to scrap anything that might fetch a $ or 2.
    These bales were usually graded 1, 2 0r 3 and each contained about 40 to 50 jackets on average.

They could be bought, unopened, sight unseen or opened, and jackets selected but if a bale was opened the owner would expect to sell a fair percentace of the contents in "a lot"
    For many years be brought over grade 3 unopened which always yielded the best value, great jackets, ripped liners, broken stitching rarely anything we couldn't fix

Occasionally a bale would contain jackets most of which would be creased like yours, either carelessly put in the baler or stored damp .............or both.

https://newrepublic.com/article/122564/inside-massive-rag-yards-wring-money-out-your-old-clothes

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Skip likes this.
  17. dmar836

dmar836 Well-Known Member

Great G-1! Couldn't get a better fit I'd say.
    Dave

s4rmark likes this.