• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First Patch Attempt/Tribute to a Friend

dmar836

My friend, "Wayne" flew 141 missions over Corsica and Italy with the 350th Ftr Grp/347th Ftr Sqn. The "Screaming Red Ass Squadron"

picture-44.jpg

picture-47.jpg

picture-43.jpg

He's a great guy and was a good flyer. He's promised to give me that Type-C helmet when he finds it (he's in a move right now). I also hope to see that A-2 one day. He claims to still have that!

There are several variants of the 347th patch out there - some without lightning bolts, some with half lightning bolts, and some with different clouds.

Here's a patch I just made using enamels. It really needs to be aged.

IMG_7322.jpg

I might make him one now that I've practiced.

Dave

dujardin

first one... wowwwwwwww congrats, well done

finally it looks easy to start an artist work
one day i will try.... one day....
nooooooooo i have no artistic talent, and when something looks easy to do; often it's more difficult that it appears
but this give envy to make a try

EMBLEMHUNTER

Wowzer dude, 1st patch ever done, Grrrrrrrrrrrreat ! like the famous "Tiger" we all know was known for saying !!!!!! :D
I have seen one with just the horse standing on a cloud with his back legs kicking out , no lightning bolts and he faces to the left (whole body) .

keep making them , you're good!!!!!!

A suggestion to "age" it, I use a watered down black acrylic "wash" on my patches when I age one, you can see this on this specific forum under 3 new patches by dujardin I just sent him 3 he wanted to look old , the "effect" really doesn't show that well in th photos but it does give them a good "Older" look.
Johnny

dmar836

Thanks guys. I'm flattered.
I'll try that aging tip. I hope it doesn't settle too much into the grain as the hair follicles are still visible. Not sure what kind of hide it is as I've had it for 15yrs or so.
Also need to find something to make the working life of the enamel longer - turpentine?
A lot of fun and really rewarding.
Thanks again,
Dave

shedonwanna

dmar836 said:
Thanks guys. I'm flattered.
I'll try that aging tip. I hope it doesn't settle too much into the grain as the hair follicles are still visible. Not sure what kind of hide it is as I've had it for 15yrs or so.
Also need to find something to make the working life of the enamel longer - turpentine?
A lot of fun and really rewarding.
Thanks again,
Dave

Turpentine will thin and make the oil enamel easier to blend/spread but acts as a drying agent. Linseed oil may help you prolong the drying time. What brand of oils are you using? Oils usually take awhile to dry. Double check to make sure you don't have a latex enamel. Overall, experiment on some extra leather and let us know your results.

dmar836

I used Testors on this. Having used it all my life, I think it's pretty good stuff. If doing bigger stuff, I'd use One Shot, etc.
Dave

EMBLEMHUNTER

You want to be careful with the "one shot" type of paint ,I was told it has a lead base content which can be dangerous if exposed to the skin .

I use both acrylics and enamel paints , for the enamel I use rustoleum, it's a good quality paint in the pint size cans and mixes easy with thier other colors , they have a fairly good range of colors to start with if you check thier paint charts in the stores .

The acrylics are just store brands , the "wash" I mentioned was done on acrylic paints on untanned leather which is the color of flesh approx, I get mine out of Tandy locally .

Johnny

dmar836

Thanks for the tips - from a pro no less!
Here's what I've done so far.

IMG_7341.jpg

I hit it very lightly with some worn 320 grit W/D. I'm not sure I even need the wash. Sew it on a go!

Dave

EMBLEMHUNTER

This is just an "opinion" but if it was me I'd put the wash on it overall .
Johnny
randomly spread it around ,hit,miss, but be sure to fill in about 90% of the design .

dmar836

Here's one I did after another recent post.

IMG_7383.jpg

And then one I just finished. 790th Bomb Sqdn.

IMG_7382.jpg

They are all enamel.

Here's my DIY patch collection so far.

IMG_7381.jpg

Fun stuff!

Dave

EMBLEMHUNTER

Great work , keep at it , you'll find the more of them you make that the detailing and techniques will come easier and better !
Johnny

dmar836

From the originals I've seen, I think some of the shading and detailing on many of the contemporary jacket art, patches, etc. is far too "realistic".

JMO as I'm no pro...... maybe someday!

Dave

Weasel_Loader

dmar836 said:
From the originals I've seen, I think some of the shading and detailing on many of the contemporary jacket art, patches, etc. is far too "realistic".

JMO as I'm no pro...... maybe someday!

Dave

That's why I'm not a huge fan of backside jacket artwork. Most are not authentic and way too detailed compared to originals. I realise some are not meant to replicate an original and are more or less tribute artwork.

I actually have an idea to have some artwork done on one of my jackets, but it would be a very simple design and replicate an actual original.

The patches sometimes also exhibit too much detail to replicate an original, but I think some like that and of course nothing wrong with that. I prefer the more simple designs as most originals. ;)

dmar836

Also, I think wear and tear on the art added some scratches, wear, and graining that added the look of detail.
JMO