• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first original A2

littlebuddy

Wow !! So many replies guys , I didn't think this jacket would create so much interest!

Many many thanks to all that have helped or are helping me to locate an original patch

I do have an original letter from Hallecy to the guy that was given this jacket along with the photo already shown

Many thanks again all

Carl

littlebuddy

I have a few questions that i would like to ask about this jacket , so please bear with me if you find them a little boring or you have heard them before

Carl

littlebuddy

Roughwear said:
Silver Surfer said:
outstanding! wear it.

I second that! ;)

Well guys ,i have just tried to try on the jacket , now, either i have grown a size or these do come up on the small size , i can get it on and zip the jacket up , but i dare not cross my arms as its way too tight across the shoulders and under the pits

LB

Dr H

They do generally come up on the small side - check the dimensions as most people go up a size on their modern tagged size in the end.

Roughwear

That's is a real shame. It is likely the leather has contracted a little over time, and size 40s vary quite a bit from contract to contractor. You could always up grade to a size 42.

littlebuddy

Roughwear said:
That's is a real shame. It is likely the leather has contracted a little over time, and size 40s vary quite a bit from contract to contractor. You could always up grade to a size 42.

Upgrade !! ?? it has took me an age to find this one !! :D i couldnt afford another for a couple more years !! unless someone wants to help me out ??? ;)

Carl

Silver Surfer

carl, in the possible event that you opt to sell the jacket, you should break even or even make a coupla $ on the sale, due to the condition of the jacket, and the provenance that has come to light. if ya do so, best of luck.

dmar836

I understand your desire for a jacket that fits but if your passion is for representative examples of USAAF gear and clothing, you with have a whole lot more into your collection just to say it will fit you than if you settle for sizes 38 to 40(much more common at the time) which display nicely on most mannequins. A few will even surprise you with the fit. 38 is the smallest I would buy without a reason (great provenance, paint, etc.) but those still easily display on a mannequin. I think, of everything in your AAF collection, what else do you insist fits or functions for daily use? Goggles, flak armor, radios, boxers? And let me know when you find a C-1 sweater in a 44 or 46(they run small)! I'd like to watch that one close.
To many the idea of buying a smaller size is an insane concept but collecting to wear is a different pursuit and usually of those collecting just jackets.
For my purposes, I wasn't there, will never fly a P-47, and will never have the associated memories so I am happy letting a smaller size piece have the show.
Not trying to be critical but trying to help you focus.
I understand the preference for your size. I have a few and you will too. I know that I have had precious few compliment me on a jacket I have worn - original or repro. Certainly not enough to make me wear the originals. The damage I could do to them isn't worth me having to force the idea on coworkers that I'm wearing a 70 yo jacket. They just don't care anyway and I'm not trying to impress those who can't tell me when the war ended.
I still lament the day in '95 or so that I had a snowball fight in my M-69 named to the Captain of the USS Augusta. I popped and lost a button. Replaceable? Sure, but I know I damaged it forever for no good reason. No one else cared then either. All I can say now is, What was I thinking?"

JMO and best of luck,
Dave

P.S. Looking for a big button for an M-69!

littlebuddy

Here is the letter that was written by J Hallecy to the guy who obtained the jacket , i have read through the letter and actually i have in the collection most of the items he mentions , unsure if he is talking about the BLUE BUNNY suit or the F2 or F3 electrically heated suit

Hallecyletter1001_zps6b52a91e.jpg

hallecyletter2001_zpsde4955b0.jpg

hallecy3001_zpsa77379cb.jpg

hallecyletter4001_zps593f732d.jpg

Carl

TankBuster

Very nice having that letter from the man himself.

Like Dave mentioned, if your passion is the history behind the jacket and the man who wore it, enjoy it for what it is. If you want something you can wear, pass it on with all the information and use that money to find something a tad larger.
Personally, I decided to collect ID'd patched and or painted A-2 jackets for the love of the history associated with each one. Size rarely enters my mind when purchasing. Granted, I have a few that I could wear, but probably won't. I have sold off almost all my "wearers". Each of us must find our own path in this unique hobby!

Best of luck!

littlebuddy

Thanks Jeff , I dont think i have made myself perfectly clear regarding the jacket , i didnt buy it for a wearer , it wasnt until it was mentioned in other posts about wearing it ,that i tried it on . Well tried to try it on !!

Its going to stop here , i will not be trying to move it on as its took long enough to actually get an example and with the history this one has , it has "hooked" into me , if that makes sense ??

My passion isnt to wear all the equipment i have , but just to uphold the memory of all those that served

Im currently in the early throws of starting my display room , so the whole collection can be put on display, or at least have a proper home for everything . If any member here is a member of the other forums i belong to , they would probably know how passionate i am about my collection and collecting

Just thought i would set the record straight regarding the "trying on" of the A2 :D

Carl

dmar836

I think it was the others response of sorrow about it not fitting that led me to think you were disappointed as well.
You certainly have a nice documented piece for your room! Wish I could have started with such a jacket.
Please keep us informed and updated.
Let us know if you ever decide to move it on! ;)

Best,
Dave

Peter Graham

It's most probably horsehide Carl, as per the official spec, but recent evidence has come to light that cowhide was also used in small quantities.

Roughwear

Without scientific testing of your jacket it very hard to be sure of the leather used. It is obviously not goatskin! Broncos were made from horse and goat and probably cowhide in order to fulfil the contract requirement for 59,000 jackets, which was the largest number for any A2 contract.

littlebuddy

Thanks for the replies everyone

Well as the sun was out today , i thought it might help with taking a better photo of the jacket

What you think ?? i think it helps 100% :)

9bd7035e-ecf1-4935-8e25-e373c1f415c8_zpsarvsdx3u.jpg

Carl