• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My AAF Collection

watchmanjimg

Andrew said:
Maybe that's a 5thAF patch lurking underneath :D

The only US decoration I recognize is the Air Medal but what's that ribbon closest- the rainbow colours looks like a WW1 Victory medal ribbon??

Close. It's actually the WW2 Victory Medal ribbon. :D

TankBuster

Interesting. Definitely a theater made patch. It appears to be padded like some RAF wings since it protrudes so far off the uniform. Maybe that is your answer. It could have been made by a small time insignia maker in England that mostly did work for the RAF? I've never seen anything like it in my years of collecting. I'm with you on the lost crew theory. If that was the case, many more would be seen.

dmar836

This is Carl. Carl is pissed! First, his right A-6A zipper is stuck. Second, he was built in China by people who have apparently never seen anything but pictures of Americans. He suffers from weightlifter deltoids and tree truck legs. Finally, he was diagnosed with cankles. He required extensive surgery, including decapitation, to shrink his torso enough to wear real human clothing. This late in the war, a guy shouldn't have to deal with all this! Okay, now Carl feels better.

Carl digs his gloves most of all!

IMG_7386.jpg

Dave

dujardin

everything is greattttt lookingggg

i'm amazed, what a personnal collection; congrats

just joking..; i'm jalous ;) :lol:

dmar836

Found a new B-1 yesterday. This one has the tag and stamps. Still no embroidered label - don't think they had them.

IMG_7400.jpg

deand

Nice! Ebay? Estate sale? Gun show? Militaria show? I really need to find events like that to go to if I can.

dean

dmar836

Militaria shop in Missouri. I paid retail ($160) but it is apparently unworn and still has a crisp tag. AND my size at 7 1/8. Not that I would wear it but could be a another pattern if needed.
I walked in and it was sitting about 3ft from the front door on a box with a backdrop for photographing. Picked up another K-1 suit, D-1 felt mask. Originally dropped in to pick up that Distinguished Unit Citation for Wayne. He gave us the DUC due to the other items we bought.
Dave

Rocky

What a super nice collection you have there Dave.
I like the heads that you use to display your hear wear on. Where did you get them at? Did you spray something on them to get that texture?

dmar836

Rocky,

I used standard heads for $8ish and then used Plasticoat(I think) "Flexstone" paint. I like the muted effect that takes away from the styro features but still has the proper head shape. Mounted them each to a wooden plaque finished in walnut stain and bam.
Got the idea from Jon Maguire's book "Gear Up!"

Dave

dmar836

Primo pair of A-6 boots I obtained from another collector. I have A-6s with seized zipps, A-6a, and A-1a BUT these are early, not all flaked, spongy soft, and in perfectly functioning order.

IMG_7482.jpg

dmar836

How about this one? A RoughWear B-10 in size 38. Do I take that size or what?

IMG_7481.jpg

Interestingly, my RW A-2 is a size 44 and fits - a 42 in that would be perfect but still 2 sizes up from the B-10. B-15 in a 40 is also a perfect fit so I guess it was all over the place.

Dave

johnwayne

I've only just caught up with this post and gotta say 'Wow' or words to that effect!!
Unbelieveable - I'm always amazed by how far collector's go and often wonder where will it end - when you run out of room?
Having bought a couple of A2's of Roughwear (Andrew - who lives near me) his bedroom has jackets all over the place, hanging up in wardrobes etc - cant see my missus putting up with that!!
Probably why Ive tried to avoid getting to heavily into any 'collecting bug' - of course theres the monetry issue too as well as the understanding 'other half' but I can really see why you collect AAF though. You deserve much credit Dave, collecting such historical stuff should be tax deductable!!! Out of interest have you got it all insured and how do you put a value on it, other than what it has cost you?

cheers
Wayne

dmar836

Wayne,
Sorry, just saw the comment. Thanks for the kind words. I can't begin to put a number on the value but for the last two years or so, the items have been considerably more expensive than it was earlier. Not just because of the increase in prices but one tends to get down to what they need to add to the collection - not just the more common stuff but the stuff you couldn't justify earlier on. Of course some of the items I collected earlier on, I would hate to have to replace now. There were other items I blew off as common that I can hardly find now. I have some gaps in the collection that actually surprise people.
Insurance is a sore spot. My company requires a rider to cover collections. That requires that each item be appraised. And what about annual appreciation I am generally overinsured but really need to look into this more again. I cannot imagine that a check would comfort me if I lost it all. Then again it is just stuff.
Linda and I have been meaning to catalog everything. I have a new friend who is an appraiser for such things and would likely sign off on my estimates.
So, thanks for the reminder!
Dave

dmar836

AAF A-9 Helmet variants

Saw an A-8 for sale the other day so while looking for mine I came across several modded A-9s. Plain A-9 helmets are likely the most surviving, easiest to find, and cheapest to collect but modded versions are always a treat. They were used by paratroopers early on, in training and in combat, and in all theaters - even in the cold, high altitude missions over Germany. Each one tells a story.

First is a bone stock A-9:
IMG_7739.jpg

Here is an interesting one. All hooks are removed, as is the fleece chin pad. Inside was added fleece ear pads. I think it might have been used for airborne training.
IMG_7734.jpg

IMG_7735.jpg

Next is one fitted with gosport tubes for flight training. Envision the instructor behind you in a Stearman. This one has the AAF stamp in blue on the front.
IMG_7736.jpg

Here's one with rigger-applied earphone cups:
IMG_7737.jpg

One with a similar mod with hard leather cups. Has the AAF stamp in white.
IMG_7738.jpg

My favorite is this one with the hard cups still wired and a leather name tag. This one was certainly there!
IMG_7732.jpg

A-9s are the cheapest way to get into the flight helmet collecting scene. They are still out there NOS but my advice is to buy the best(modded, named) you can afford. They will always be worth more than a stock helmet. Of course then you'll need O2 masks and goggles!

Dave