• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 37J1 Conversion

Thomas Koehle

Well as for the combo of materials (referring to the pic with the pocket layer out) the project looks very good already.

I’m really interested to see the progress and where your efforts lead to ...

zoomer

Cool stuff. Can't wait!
Dave
P.S. Do you have a need for the spring latches? I'd be interested in them if not.
They may not be usable afterwards. They're very strongly riveted to very light fabric, so they'll probably have to be cut off all in one go. But if you'd like a strip of them, I'll gladly send them along.

dmar836

Center punch then drill with about the nominal rivet size. Either way just looking forward to see what becomes of it.
Dave.

zoomer

Dave's suggestion worked a treat. (However, I don't recommend you try it on a balcony.)
I drilled out the rivets from the back, where there were holes, using a big enough bit to take out the shaft. The threads pulled here and there when the bit hit cloth, but pulling the cloth taut around the holes fixed that.

This way I save 1/4" or so of fabric which can fold under the front seams. Every little bit helps.
And yes, Dave will get his clasps, which came off intact and ready to rivet again.

IMG_2149.jpg
IMG_2150.jpg

dmar836

That looks great. You could almost mask the holes with a strip of fabric up to the zip. That might look just like a button placard or something.
Lookin good!
Dave

zoomer

Bad news today. I will have to give up on the project.

Due to yet another round of dyeing and bleaching errors, the jacket is no longer in a condition worth modifying. Besides being one wash and dry smaller, it now has noticeable light yellow spots.

If you make mistakes, you should always LEARN from them. I didn't, because I wouldn't own up to them. Eventually, they added up.

In fact, I am crossing 37J1s off my list entirely. I've had several disappointing experiences relating to this type of jacket over the years. It is obviously bad joss.

:(:mad:

zoomer

A nonmilitary, nonmall 46 (50" chest). Hard enough to find in an A-2, especially 2nd hand.

Thomas Koehle

Phew!

46 simply aint work with the Chinese manufacturers ...

I was asking coz i`m in the process to order some smaller items off TB and thought i`d maybe could add a jacket for you in the buy but 46 is too large.

did you check at cockpit - and how was that other company called making them 37J1 in the UK??? "Silvermans" or so???

Maybe you can get your size from them "off the shelf"????

zoomer

I'd have to, and then spend some bucks at my tailor getting rid of nonsense camo liners and such.

But as I speculated in another thread, a faithful 37J is a small man's affair, and will likely remain so. I really have no business wanting one.

Last edited: