• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Museum-grade replica Apollo-era NASA flight jacket

Corky

Museum-grade replica Apollo-era NASA flight jacket

news-120313a-lg1.jpg

December 3, 2013 – An Apollo astronaut, looking to keep the "right stuff" forefront in the public's eye, has recreated his iconic NASA-issued blue flight jacket down to the last button.

Al Worden, who in 1971 flew to the moon as the pilot of the Apollo 15 command module Endeavour, wore out his original flight jacket years ago. But working with a space enthusiast out of London, Worden has now reproduced the distinctive NASA outerwear as a museum-quality replica, which is being offered for sale.

Worden, collaborating with British attorney Steve Pidcock, has founded "Still The Right Stuff" to create what Worden labels as the "Apollo Flight Jacket."

The jacket is £450; there's no website for it yet, so orders must be placed at [email protected].

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-120313a.html

Rutger

What, AL? Well, can't wait to see the first review. Nice they've found a new niche.
Museum-grade, haven't heard that one before. From the description they seem on par with or even above BR, though the Apollo would be more unique.
Would suggest the dark blue arm pocket zipper from the originals shown though (replacement zip?).

Phantomfixer

Great looking jacket and hope it does well..not an expert on NASA stuff...wouldn't the name tag and wings still be on the left side though???

Smithy

I had no idea that AL did this kind of thing. Great looking jacket and I'm seriously tempted.

It would go well with my daughter's vintage NASA cap ;)

asiamiles

The sleeve zipper is 'hidden' like on the CWU-45P rather than 'exposed' as on a L-2B. There's appears to have been a few variants of the NASA jacket - they mention plans to do others - so I don't know if this repro is faithfully copying a specific one or it's simply not very accurate. It's a high price for a nylon jacket, way above that of a Buzz and even a Real McCoy's.

Willy McCoy

Price is pretty good. If they've done it right it's like making two jackets. One side in blue and one IDENTICAL side in signal orange. Even the zipper tapes are orange (main closure, pockets & sleeve pocket). I have an original Flite-Wear in Medium Long for sale in mint condition. If interested you can PM me.

dmar836

I fancy the "sand" colored version.
Been considering such an endeavor.
Glad someone did it!
Dave

Willy McCoy

I've read the description of the Apollo jacket. I had to scratch my head because I have never seen this type of jacket with a rayon blend lining before. The test pilot and NASA jackets I have are poplin on both sides. Zippered cigarette pockets on both sides too. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I would love to see an original that they pattern their jacket after. Looks like a great jacket just the same.

MauldinFan

This is all I could find on this jacket here, oddly.
I have one and it's quite amazing. I've compared it to two real ones and they did a great job.
As AL Worden passed (he told me about his plans for these jackets over a year before they came to pass), I guess they won't be making any more.

B-Man2