• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most Recent Restoration Project

Maverickson

Hi All,

Wanted to share my most recent USN vintage jacket restoration project with the Forum members. This is a size 42 G&F M-422A that I fairly recently acquired. This particular jacket's hide is in great condition with no issues. The goat hide on these WW-2 era jackets wear like iron and has a what I can only explain as having a burnished look.

In this case the knits, male side of the zipper, mouton collar and lining were in need of being changed out. To facilitate this project I used a combination of machine and the double needle technique viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7180 to stitch this jacket back together. This work resulted in making this jacket into a fine wearer. Those results of which can be seen bellow.

Enjoy!

Dave

bazelot

Incredible job Dave. I don't thing anyone could have done a better job. You gave that jacket a 2nd life. THanks for posting those pics with us.

Maverickson

bazelot said:
Incredible job Dave. I don't thing anyone could have done a better job. You gave that jacket a 2nd life. THanks for posting those pics with us.

Hi Tom,

Yes, I spent a lot of time on this restoration. Although I'm not so narrow minded as to only wear USN jackets but, in particular I really enjoy wearing original WW-2 era jackets. Currently, I've got three (size 42, 44 & 46) original G&F M-422A jackets. I'm lucky to be that in between size that allows me to comfortably fit into either of those sizes fairly well.

I've got some before pics of this same size 42 G&F jacket.

Luckily, I came up with a good match for the original rayon lining. The mouton was sourced from a vintage garment and the replacement zipper is an original Talon. Unfortunately I had already begun my restoration when JC offered his like G&F replacement knits http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/sa ... _0002.html or I would have gladly used them. As it goes, lately or up and until now good reproduction M-422A knits have been hard to come by. However, those replacement knits I utilized are from G&B.

Enjoy!

Dave

dujardin

congratssssssssssssss

shortly my wife restore one of my jacket (just replacement of all knits)
so i imagine easily the work (hard and patient) you need to

splendid jacket you have there ;)

Rutger

I'd also think that the work done on it would make wearing such a jacket feel much more rewarding than "just" buying a good one on itself.

Roughwear

You have made a superb job of this restoration work Dave. I so glad it was sold to someone capable of breathing new life into it. :)

Maverickson

Hi All,

I appreciate everyones encouraging words!

In addition to what I have already posted I felt it important to finish up this thread by including a couple of close ups of this G&F jacket’s sleeve ends. Unlike most USN jackets I’ve encountered of this vintage, this particular jacket had shorter than usual sleeves. Because the existing sleeve length on this jacket is just adequate, and since there was no room to spare for a decent fit, I reused all existing to attach the replacement cuffs.

Cheers, Dave

Maverickson

Hi All,

Here I am wearing this same G&F.

Many might consider these M-422A jackets to be nearly excessively long. Not to mention, I've seen many vintage photographs of those guys wearing their M-422As with the zipper extension and waist knits folded up into the jacket.

Although I enjoy wearing this jacket, it comes as no surprise to me that those subsequent USN jacket contracts shortened up the length of those jackets.

Cheers, Dave