MONARCH Size 46 AN - J-3A Restoration

Discussion in 'Vintage' started by Maverickson, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Maverickson

Maverickson Active Member

Hi All,

I wanted to share my latest restoration with the members. In this case a fine Large size mid War AN-J-3A Monarch and from my most favorite jacket maker.

When I received this jacket it was in dire need of repair. It was board line wearable and had lost all of it's original integrity. Between this Monarch's poor or just plain sloppy War time factory and subsequent workmanship this AN-J-3A project represents the most trying restoration I've done to date.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Prior to what is seen above, besides normal wear from age it had it's fair share of cockpit damage , multiple different sizes of panels that created a lopsided collar, worn out & poorly aligned collar and zip replacement.

I'm proud to say that I brought this one back.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    Pilot, Roughwear, ECKHARTUS and 5 others like this.
  2. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

Mate, that's absolutely awesome. My hat is well and truly off to you, seriously great work.

3. Maverickson

Maverickson Active Member

Hi Smithy,

I appreciate it! This jacket had some serious issues before I got my hands on it. There were almost too many repairs done to list.

To name the obvious & as far as I can tell this is the third zipper, third mouton & third set of knits. All prior workmanship was poor at best. It took many hours of fitting, realigning and diminishing empty stitches to get what is now seen.

The real crime is the patches that were once attached to this jacket have all gone missing. No less than four WW-2 & Korean War type squadron patches were once attached to the jacket's front panels. While the back panel at one time held a huge Air Wing patch. All removed long ago.

Cheers, Dave

4. daw

daw Member

Beautiful work! Obviously a labor of love, and what a result!

5. CBI

CBI Well-Known Member

looks great!!!!!

6. MikeyB-17

MikeyB-17 Well-Known Member

Hell of a job! Love those knits.

7. Dave

Dave New Member

Dave, another Dave here, I contacted you on the 'bay about possible restoration to an Arnoff AN-J-3A I have. Can you email me please at dcnanners @ gmail? I don't think I have PM funcionality yet. Thanks!