• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Minimum Initial Care For ELC RAF Irvin

alcon

Waiting for my very first ELC RAF Irvin to arrive; purchased as a previously owned jacket. The jacket is suppose to be in "excellent" condition but, who knows. Talking with the seller I know he's not familiar with this type of jacket and hasn't cared for it like it probably should have been. The jacket could be around 5-10 years old. Is there any basic things that I need to do right away as far as cleaning/conditioning/hydrating? Any guidance you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

John Lever

They look best without any Pecards or other crud on them. So many jackets are ruined forever by being covered in grease.

alcon

I've been reading your posts for years and recently re-read your comments concerning sheepskin jackets. Your recommendation to everyone in 2010 was, "...wash in pure glycerine soap..." so that's exactly what I'm going to do. Do you apply to only outer surface using a sponge then dry? I've owned many A-2s but, this sheepskin stuff is all new to me. Thanks

John Lever

True. However I have had some very bad experiences since then. Two jackets completely destroyed.
My advice if you want to wash would be to do it in a bag or net of some kind. The weight of the sheepskin when wet makes it very vulnerable.

coalman

I have a ELC irvin and use Garys own leather care, which he reccomends on both Irvins and A2's.
I used to own an original 1941 irvin when I was both younger and slimmer which a guy who used to work for Irvin told me to use saddle soap on each year to keep it supple, I found it very sticky and took ages to dry but good, however things have moved on since and though garys lotion is a bit smelly at first, if the supplier of the jackets reccomends it then it must be worth using.