• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mighty Eighth : Who will make the jackets?

johnwayne

Re the BoB film, I was at school and was riding my bike home one day to hear a 'schwarm' of 4 x Me109's overhead - it stopped me in my tracks! I still have today some of the postcards and a 'front of the house' movie poster from the film - not sure its worth but its a great design using the Union Jack and Nazi flags as 'vapour trails' - often thought of donating it to the Battle of Britain Museum within RAF Museum in London but I have reservations about such a donation!!
Actually a good film in its day when you compare to 50's films like Angels one Five, maybe a little too many of the same scenes shot from different angles but by todays standards and CGI then not so - good cast though and I think they captured the spirit well and, Susannah York in her stockings is always worth seeing again!!!!!

cheers
Wayne

havocpaul

Nice story, Wayne. I personally wouldn't donate it to such a large museum, very rarely do they ever display such donations and too often get 'lost' in their archive never to see the light of day. There are good repros of those posters around so I would expect they would have got one if they had ever planned on doing a 'BOB' film display. Better are some of the smaller museums who are glad of any donations and appreciate them much more. (Like the BOB museum in Hawkinge, Kent who have a few of the film's aircraft displayed or the Kent Aircraft Museum, Shoreham).

Stony

Whoever makes the jackets for this movie, I hope they don't claim "sole maker" like they did for "Redtails".

CBI

My guess is it will be all hands on deck. They are going to need lots of product so we will see: jackets, uniforms, flight gear, patches, etc from many different sources. I am sure some nice original items will be in the mix as well.

Steve H

Might be good for the reenactor market- there might be some new repop stuff produced that wasn't available before.

I would love a repro RAF seat type chute!

ausreenactor

Stony said:
Whoever makes the jackets for this movie, I hope they don't claim "sole maker" like they did for "Redtails".

I don't think anybody claimed the 'sole maker' title? I thought the issue was that some of the pics in the ELC page included some GW jackets. And vice versa. Many here indicated a legal mega-battle was on the cards, but it just died a death and people moved on and then saw the movie and the angst and anger was not really worth it..You will see everyone's posts and who was 'swinging' hard.

Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Saving Private Ryan, Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima get a regular run. Have not watched Red Tails again since I bought it.. Might drag it out again one day...but probably not. :(

VERY keen to see this one though...and a whole lot of shearling too!!

Couchy

cmk-2

Anybody that might be thinking about purchasing a jacket better do it before the films contracts are let. I wonder what the wait will grow to 1 and a half, 2 years from the order date???

Chandler

John Lever said:
I read somewhere that all the gear was to be made by The Cockpit....

Why not?* They made the jackets used in the original Red Tails, HBO movie -- if I recall correctly.

* ;)

flyboy

cmk-2 said:
Anybody that might be thinking about purchasing a jacket better do it before the films contracts are let. I wonder what the wait will grow to 1 and a half, 2 years from the order date???

And the prices will rise. Again! :(

Steve H

I got in and placed my order / paid deposit with GW a day before the price hike! :? Not that it was due to this topic though, just lucky!

Skip

Luck and good timing Steve. I missed out, was about to put a request in when I noticed, haven't made the plunge and probably won't at those prices. C'est la vie

But knowing you got in at the last moment, will make your jacket all the more savoured

herk115

flyboy said:
Oh how I love that movie
- "that's some Catch that Catch 22. It's he best there is!" :D

I've been kicking myself for twenty years. In the early 90's I had the chance to buy the jacket worn by Art Garfunkel in Catch-22. Instead went for two others, neither of which I have any more (a no-label seal something and a Cable that looked more like a Cooper). Damn! :(

herk115

MikeyB-17 said:
Peter Graham said:
Great news. I can't wait. One drawback is that a lot of the flying sequences will have to be CGI and it just doesn't cut it. Compare the B-17 sequences in Red Tails to the start of Catch 22. No contest.

Couldn't agree more-I'm delighted to hear about this, but I hope we don't get too many Pearl Harbour style CG flying sequences.

Sadly, that's what "the kids" of today expect on the screen. Real flying, as you just saw in Catch-22, would probably stike them as inferior ("Look, they had to use real airplanes. They obviously can't do CGI right! Losers!")

herk115

NW Carver said:
I will have a word and see when/where he is giving his exhibition and lecture...he has some fantastic props from the filming, including some of the flying kit props that were used (mostly wrong)..

A few years ago I ran into a gentleman who had spent the entire war as a Yank in the RAF (I did not get his name but he works as an aviation insurance adjustor) flying Hurricanes and Spitfires. My friend asked him two questions:
"What was your favorite airplane?"
"If I wanted to feel invincible? The Spitfire."
and
"Do you still have your gear?"
"You mean my Irvin? Yes. But I want you to know we didn't wear them when we flew. The cockpits were too small. That's where the movies get it wrong."
Wish we could have talked to him much more!