• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mid War 1942 Pattern Irvin, Size 7 or 8

John Lever

F**k me !
Having been involved right from the beginning in sourcing the jacket can someone tell me why it is so desirable?
It's nice but that price ??

Dr H

But...Simon is correct - it is superb (you can't convey just how good from the photos).

With a sleeve zip replaced it will be hard to upgrade as a sturdy wearer.

Roughwear

Hmm...but serious Irvins collectors may want a 100% original jacket and if a zip has been replaced will want a really professional job done.

Dr H

Roughwear said:
Hmm...but serious Irvins collectors may want a 100% original jacket and if a zip has been replaced will want a really professional job done.

True enough, but it's being offered with the older zip replacement (i.e. that's how I bought it) with a Dot in place using the original stitch holes and period thread it would be indistinguishable.
Any substandard stitching that you see is not down to the current vendor.

Roughwear

Dr H said:
Roughwear said:

True enough, but it's being offered with the older zip replacement (i.e. that's how I bought it) with a Dot in place using the original stitch holes and period thread it would be indistinguishable.
Any substandard stitching that you see is not down to the current vendor.

So are you saying the zip was replaced in the short period from when you sold it on Saturday to when it ended up in Bewdley?

Dr H

No, the zip was replaced sometime between it's wartime use/storage and my recent purchase.
Judging by the dryness of the hide, I infer that it was replaced some years ago as the cotton was old (but not of the same dernier as the wartime thread).
It's being offered as I sold it (i.e. with older replacement work).

Roughwear

Ian, if you look at the picture of the zip when it was on your jacket the tape was light brown.It is now brick red. Therefore it must have been replaced and the new zip is a Dot.

Dr H

Roughwear said:
Ian, if you look at the picture of the zip when it was on your jacket the tape was light brown.It is now brick red. Therefore it must have been replaced and the new zip is a Dot.

Yes, as I said in my PM, I stand corrected - I missed that image.

coanda

Before and after...

image10_zpsfcpvoder.jpg

Sleeve.jpg

John Lever

Bertie one of the people at Aero could have done a new undetectable replacement. A bad repair is worse than no repair.