• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mid War 1942 Pattern Irvin, Size 7 or 8

Dr H

Here is a mid-war Irvin (1942 pattern) in very fine wearable condition and near complete (one zip has been replaced with a period Lightning; the other two are double trunion Dot zips); it even retains its original collar strap.
The sheepskin is very supple and the fleece is in excellent condition (golden and complete - the lining appears to be Devon fleece; the waist, collar and wristlets are a shorter pile).
It appears to have seen very little wear but to have been stored carefully. It's a large jacket (at least a size 7 as it swamps me a little and I typically wear a ELC in a 46").
Sadly, there is no label, so the maker remains a bit of a mystery.
Thanks to John Lever, who initially spotted this one.

1e2a886c-6a4e-4e63-84de-e6854e8b95f9_zpsighmzsj6.jpg

fbb2141e-380b-4bfa-8970-026d42d763a2_zpseqxkzdaf.jpg

b46e40b6-83bc-48d3-badb-0fc54e58748b_zpslogqdijg.jpg

image1_zpstkqoies8.jpg

image7_zpsk09xkzq4.jpg

image19_zpsa6dquplm.jpg

image15_zpsifloawlk.jpg

image16_zpss9x4hmdx.jpg

image14_zpscztv6bbx.jpg

image13_zpsk5rvoopq.jpg

image10_zpsfcpvoder.jpg

image17_zpsvhiw7udj.jpg

image5_zps8stjfvue.jpg

image8_zpsz6hibeiz.jpg

image6_zps6ehnshhh.jpg

CBI

Looks super Ian!! I would love an original like this! I hope you wear and enjoy it! I wonder if your jacket OCD will get the better of you and you will end up selling it?????? I really do this its splendid and you would be hard pressed to find a nicer one. Congrats!

Jason

Doesn't get any better than that - and in a large size, quite a rare bird. Too big? Nope, I think that looks just fine. That's the sort of Irvin where you wish for the coldest, meanest weather Mother Nature can whip up so you can give it some 'airframe hours'. Congratulations.

Dr H

Thanks John, thanks Jason.
It is a beauty, but like the mid-war Links it has already been sold to fund another Irvin project.
I'm not after an original to keep - I tried that (with my 2-panel Links) and didn't wear it enough for fear of damage.

CBI

What the Hell??? Already sold???????

Ian................geeeeezzzz!!!!!!

I will be interested to see your next Irvin project.

John Lever

Having closely examined the jacket I can honestly say I was very tempted to buy it. The sewn on cuff ends are invisibly attached not like the ridiculously clumsy attempts by repro makers on jackets I have owned. The body fleece is fully 1 1/2 inches long and almost like cat fur,soft and silky. But the main thing that struck me was the almost total lack of wear. I see antiques every day and from what I saw out of the bag was a jacket put away at the end of the war and stored for 70 years.

Probably more to come (?).......

Falcon_52

John:

Can you explain how the cuff is attached to the sleeve end on this one? I have never heard of this practice before but my guess is this was done to allow replacement later on if they wore out. Any insight on this?

Noel

Roughwear

This was very common practice for later War jackets made from predominantly long fleece. The hem and cuffs were made from close pile fleece which gave a neater and more comfortable finish than long pile fleece. The edge of the close pile fleece was butted up to the edge of the body fleece and secured with overlock stitching. When the cuff was folded over the join was only visible on the inside of the sleeve.

flyboy

Roughwear said:
flyboy said:
I am not totally sure, but have I actually worn that jacket once. Back at Duxford, Andrew?

Not that jacket Soren. The one you had was made by Robinson and Ensum.

Only remembered the difference of fleece on the collar and the inside very similar. And the size. :D
But you know better!