• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Memphis Belle nose art jacket

Greg Gale

I have a very old Avirex A-2, full of holes, beaten up, I use it to do "messy stuff", such as going to the airfield where I know I can very well be covered in oil. My girlfriend is a talented painter, so I asked here if she wanted to give it a go and paint the back of my jacket. She was very hesitant, because she had never painted leather jackets, and she didn't trust herself enough, but I did :) Here's the result, I couldn't be happier with it!

View attachment 4720

View attachment 4721

Greg Gale

1.jpg

2.jpg

Brettafett

Thats excellent Greg! Please congratulate her from me.. She must be careful... More guys may want her to do some work ;) A new hobby perhaps?

Greg Gale

Thanks! :) I told her she could practice a bit and do this for a living, but she didn't believe me! I especially like the weathering job she did on the text and the bombs.

Brettafett

Yes, I noticed that. Its a fantastic job, especially because it doesn't look bright and new. I am considering doing a job on the Cockpit or the AVI. Will you ask her what type of paints she used...

Greg Gale

She used a white acrylic model base paint, then acrylic mode paint on top. Except for the girl, she was painted with oil. For the weathering she bought a weathering substance at a plastic model store - it's very thin, you apply it, then rub it off with a kleenex.

Brettafett

mmmm thanks Greg. I wouldn't mind a name or a pic of that weathering stuff... I'm still a long way off painting. Project for summer maybe.

tibor

Excellent work. She’s very talented and captures the vintage look beautifully. She has no reason to be modest.