• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

McQueen Tanker

greyhound52

I know it is not exactly like a tanker jacket but it kind of looks cool and I got a good deal on it. I have had a BR tanker and a MASH tanker and sold both as I didn't like the way the blanket inner felt and my neck area kept getting hit by the inside wind flap. Anyway my birthday gift to myself. Could have done without the patches or Name on the back but that is all he had.

http://www.toys-mccoy.com/store/tmj8804.html

asiamiles

That's interesting. I haven't seen the film recently so wasn't aware that Steve McQueen didn't wear an actual Tanker in it. Real McCoy's Travis Bickle Tanker also has a quilted lining, though again I don't know if this is an accurate repro of the jacket De Niro wore as I don't think you get a shot in the film where the lining is visible.

My guess is that the actors might find the blanket lining uncomfortable so were supplied with these instead. I'd prefer one too but RM's only comes patched and stenciled, and I guess that's the same the TM jacket, which I've never seen before...is it a new model?

greyhound52

Yes it is a new model. Guess I will have to go back and look at the film. I know that based on the RM catalog from 1994 they offered a McQueen tanker but it was an actual tanker jacket. Don't know if this one is made up or real. I just thought it was kind of cool and been wanting a tanker but unhappy with the two I had (blanket lining mainly but the BR really fit tight under the armpits and a 44 was way too big and the 42 I had just didn't cut it).

veli1

Hello guys,

Tanker jacket mentioned above is tanker jacket replica which "The King of Cool" wored in the movie Hell Is for Heroes (1962). There is a auction on ebay on this item http://cgi.ebay.com/STEVE-McQUEEN-H...5057335QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Anyway my favorite is BR Tanker, I'll order one soon...I STILL HAVE SOME CASH AND WOULD LIKE TO PUT IT TO WORK, but I need some feedback on Buzz Rickson's Tanker sizing. I'm 178cm tall,weigh about 78-80kg,like trim jackets,what size should I order 40 or 42? There are rumors on the forum that BR Tankers sometimes run large than tagged size and sometimes they run small/snug...guys,what is the truth??Thanks.

greyhound52

I had a 42 BR tanker. While it fit fine around the middle, chest and back it was cut high under the arm pits and it just bugged the heck out me. I don't know if that is how they are suppose to fit or not. The 44 was way too big (around 25 pit to pit). My size is 5 foot 10 inches and 175 pounds (sorry don't know the metric size). I can wear ELC 42 A2s and they fit perfect if that is any help.

veli1

greyhound52 said:
I had a 42 BR tanker. While it fit fine around the middle, chest and back it was cut high under the arm pits and it just bugged the heck out me. I don't know if that is how they are suppose to fit or not. The 44 was way too big (around 25 pit to pit). My size is 5 foot 10 inches and 175 pounds (sorry don't know the metric size). I can wear ELC 42 A2s and they fit perfect if that is any help.

Thanks greyhound, we have almost the same measurements-you are 177,8cm tall with 79kg. Anyway this guy (from rakuten web site) is wearing BR Tanker size 38(M) and he is 176cm tall with 60kg and he looks great so i reckon BR Tanker size 40 (L) will suit me just fine, does anyone have similar experiences with BR? Thanks.

img55315917.jpg
img55315918.jpg
img55315919.jpg

asiamiles

veli1 said:
Anyway this guy (from rakuten web site) is wearing BR Tanker size 38(M) and he is 176cm tall with 60kg and he looks great so i reckon BR Tanker size 40 (L) will suit me just fine, does anyone have similar experiences with BR? Thanks.

You really think so? I think that jacket looks awful with those low-ish rise jeans. But to each his own.

I have 2 BR Tankers waiting for me when I (hopefully) return to Japan next week; I'm thinking the regular one might be too short on me but maybe the Long William Gibson will fit better. I let you know.

veli1

asiamiles said:
veli1 said:
Anyway this guy (from rakuten web site) is wearing BR Tanker size 38(M) and he is 176cm tall with 60kg and he looks great so i reckon BR Tanker size 40 (L) will suit me just fine, does anyone have similar experiences with BR? Thanks.

You really think so? I think that jacket looks awful with those low-ish rise jeans. But to each his won.

asiamiles, maybe you're right about the jacket-it is a little short in the waist and I'm newbie here in BR jackets but I'm looking for a trim fitting jacket/tanker in the chest and body and I want something like WW2 style, take a look at the guy in the right http://www.footnote.com/image/48254385//

You're going to Japan? Great, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

asiamiles

greyhound52 said:
Could have done without the patches or Name on the back but that is all he had.

This jacket is available in a plain version, but if you got a good deal on it - did you get it direct from Japan? - can be no complaints.

Doesn't look it but just wanted to check if it measured any longer than a regular tanker, as that's one of my main problems with them? It does appear that the back doesn't balloon out as much though.