• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MacArthur A-2 jacket for sale !

Andrew

The provenance is a bit tenuous. Also quite a bit of wear to the collar. I recall someone saying that he had several which were all accounted for in Museums but one was stolen??

TankBuster

I saw that posted on the USMF forum a couple days ago. I would like alot more provenance myself.

There is also a great topic on the stolen jacket over there as well.

Check out the graining and creases on the left pocket and pocket flap of the current color photo, and then the old b & w photo of him shaking hands--they appear to be the same to my eye.

stubbyeighth

watchmanjimg

stubbyeighth said:
Check out the graining and creases on the left pocket and pocket flap of the current color photo, and then the old b & w photo of him shaking hands--they appear to be the same to my eye.

stubbyeighth

I was very skeptical at first, but you have a point. It does look like the jacket in the photo.

atkins

Thanks Tim, for the info , a holy jacket for me. I hope John Chapman or Gary Eastman knows about this and win the auction and repro it for us :D .

Cobblers161

If true then that's one rare baby. The graining on the pocket itself and along with the flap appear to be the same. There's a crows foot type crease on both which would be damn hard to replicate.

TankBuster

:lol: Projected sale price $50,000-$75,000. That means around $50,000 is basically the minimum the seller will take.

EDIT:

I just noticed the projected price was raised since a couple days ago to now a whopping $75,000 - $150,000 :lol: :lol:

Roughwear

It certainly looks like one of the A2s he wore in the War. I have seen pics else where of MacArthur carrying the jacket with this particular RW label apparent. Could this be the stolen A2? I suspect he might have grown a little large for it as one of his favourite post War jackets was the no name 27753, which appears from the photos to be a larger jacket, perhaps a 46 or 48, but others here may know more.

atkins

No wonder the price ,It have the color changing ability! Sometime seal sometimes russet. :D

MZV1-X-CU90-O.jpg

Weasel_Loader

No doubt in my mind it's the real deal. Looking at all the vintage photos of the jacket and the auction photos, it looks like all the creases in the leather match up perfectly to a T! That would mostly likely be the crown jewel of all A-2s available on the market. :cool:

TankBuster

Roughwear said:
PLATON said:
is this from the wwii days or korean war days?

WW2 days. He tended to wear his larger Cable in the Korean war.

Andrew,

Actually according to the listing, it was worn during Korea.

Copied and pasted directly from the auction site/listing:

"One of the most famous photographs shows MacArthur wearing this flight jacket while observing the 1st Marine Division's amphibious landing at Inchon, South Korea, on September 15, 1950."

Weasel_Loader

TankBuster said:
Roughwear said:
PLATON said:
is this from the wwii days or korean war days?

WW2 days. He tended to wear his larger Cable in the Korean war.

Andrew,

Actually according to the listing, it was worn during Korea.

From the auction site:

"One of the most famous photographs shows MacArthur wearing this flight jacket while observing the 1st Marine Division's amphibious landing at Inchon, South Korea, on September 15, 1950."

If you read the listing again, I think you'll see the seller just stated there are many famous photos of MacArthur wearing his A-2 jacket.

So I'm thinking the seller just mentioned the fact that one of the most famous photos is of MacArthur during Korea. He just doesn't state that is the exact jacket being offered. ;)

Super cool!! This one needs to go to a museum for permanent display. There's no doubt all the various graining of the leather match up perfectly with at least two of the higher resolution pictures of MacArthur presented. It would be quite a feat of counterfeiting to be able to pull that off. Thanks for the post!