• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MA-1 Stench, Ohhh my!

les_garten

I just got an Alpha MA-1 that has a smell. Like maybe it was in a house with dogs or something.

Very organic type smell.

It is in Excellent condition and I would like to remedy the smell issue.

Any recommendations or tips/tricks for how to proceed?

MikeyB-17

I have had the best results just leaving it outside in the Sun for a few days. Tried all the baking soda etc. with limited success. I have a leather 'Barbour' bike jacket, great jacket but it reeked of fags when I got it. I tried everything but leaving it outdoors finally did the trick. Providing you have the weather to do it, of course.

Rutger

Had an MA-1 sent to me that made its Indonesian source apparent by its smell.
Woollite handwash and a light gentle tumble afterwards cured it (and the stains).

devilish

A gentle machine wash and hung outside to dry will work too. Go easy on the soap and use cold cycle. Then a nice sunny day. Even if it has the wool padding. As long as you don't apply heat, it will be fine.
I wouldn't trust a tumble dryer unless on 'air' only. I've seen too many weird creases on things put through the dryer.

les_garten

I just checked it again, back out into the Sun.

I read about Febreze and how it works, but am trying to avoid as many chemicals as I can.

So far I have Woolite and Febreze on my potentials list