• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MA-1 opinion needed

FtrPlt

Picked up an MA-1 for cheap the other day. Spec tag is too faded out to read. Paid $15 so I'm not concerned if it turns out to be a commercial copy.

Orange lining, Scovill brass zip (tab-type, not paperclip), pockets are lined in a soft greenish material. White-on-sage USAF nav wing sewn on above the remnants of a white, sewn-on nametag. Feels like wool interlining. No pocket flaps

Curious about which series this is -- D or E? I'm not up-to-speed on these so not sure if the flaps not being present precludes it being an E-series?

FtrPlt

Thanks for your comments. Poor photo but this is the jacket. Travelling this week but will post better photos when I get home

MA1a.jpg

watchmanjimg

Looks like a solid example. Are those the remnants of a wide nametape? If so, its use would seem to be later than average given the jacket's vintage. Good score for $15!

FtrPlt

There are no visible markings but I'm presuming this was a nametape. And I agree with you. I've seen this type of nametape on 1950s-era jackets. Seems out of place on a (presumably) late 1960s example.

oose

FtrPlt said:
There are no visible markings but I'm presuming this was a nametape. And I agree with you. I've seen this type of nametape on 1950s-era jackets. Seems out of place on a (presumably) late 1960s example.

Units varied tremendously with the name tape, here is a shot from 1968, the patch placement is very similar to yours.

All the best
Stu

FtrPlt

Very cool photo! Shows how far off my assumptions were. I thought most were using the sewn-on black leather tags by this point.

watchmanjimg

FtrPlt said:
Very cool photo! Shows how far off my assumptions were. I thought most were using the sewn-on black leather tags by this point.

I don't think your assumptions were far off at all. The configuration in Stu's example is pretty much identical to yours, but I'd argue that it was far less common than the leather tags by the later '60s. Start comparing original pics and you'll see what I mean . . .